Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. From the jacked up screws from the factory, to having NO SERIAL NUMBER on the boat, to the unsatisfactory customer service from the warranty guy, all the way to the empty promises from the Hobie Fishing Facebook chat.

First off I got a hobie compass that was pushed out of the factory without being quality checked. Transducer cover screws were in crooked like they let a blind man do the work. That or they don’t take pride in the way the boat gets delivered.

Second, there was no serial number etched on the boat... for real!?!?! Then it’s my responsibility to take time out of my day to go have it FIXED.

Third, I was promised a deck mat for the piss poor quality check or lack there of, for the massive inconvenience. I was told it would be here early this week... well it’s Thursday now, let me reach out to hobie... part is back ordered. They failed to let me know. “It will be here when it can”

To top it off everyone at Hobie talks like they have a stick up their ass. They act like it’s my fault for purchasing a lemon. I’ll never buy another hobie product ever again and I’ll make sure everyone I know does the same.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Can I post screenshots here? I have a message from hobie saying my order was shipped already and the system wouldn’t process a tracking number. 8 days later “the item is on back order” buuuuuuuuut I thought it shipped?!?!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Post away...

No serial#? Man that's a good one. I'd like to see it, lol. If that's true, It'd be incredible.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 7:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Sorry to hear you're having problems -- it doesn't happen often. Hobie is a great company and offers excellent customer support IMO, but if you get a crappy dealer that's a problem. That boat was shipped with a serial # on the wrapper and it should also have one on the boat. When you bought the boat the paper work should have referenced the SN. If not, it's your dealer's job to fix it. His invoice from Hobie references it, so there should not be any mystery about it. Likewise, if you have any problems with the boat, your dealer should take care of this for you. Hobie is not set up to provide customer service directly, but through your purchasing dealer, so if you're getting bad customer service from Hobie, perhaps that's the reason. Hobie has a warranty dept that works through warranty claims submitted through the dealer network. If you're talking with the warranty guy, you the customer are talking to the wrong person.

I believe the boats have a sign off sheet from the final inspector. If he didn't do his job, it would be nice to know who it is. That's why the sheet is there in the first place -- so they can follow up and correct the problem.

If I were getting bad customer service from my dealer, I would let the forum know who it is; I would also report it to Hobie and I would find another dealer that would be willing to help me out, even though I didn't buy from him. I hope this gets straightened out for you. :!:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John (UnknownCompass),

I have seen your pictures on the Hobie Compass Facebook page. I cannot understand why you are getting so bent out of shape over a serial # that is documented and is also underneath the rudder handle. You PM'd me and while I understand your concern, I think you're letting something small become something big. If the corrected screw retainer for the transducer cover on the bottom works, doesn't leak and isn't seen when the cover is attached...what's the big deal? If that small blemish isn't something you can live with, then don't ever take the Compass inshore saltwater fishing as the hull will get scratched up.

As stated in the other posts, it's the dealer's primary responsibility to address your concerns. You purchased it from the dealer. The dealer can submit warranty claims to Hobie and they can decide how to handle your warranty claim. Getting on this forum and bashing Hobie products doesn't help you or the the people on this forum. Yes it's a big investment to purchase a Hobie Mirage drive kayak, but you will find the money well spent after fishing from a Hobie as opposed to other brands.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 am 
Site Admin

I've been hearing about this situation and spoke with you personally about this a week ago. Unfortunate that it has been so upsetting. We never expect a consumer to solve their own problem, but when a defect is found... having to work through the dealer is the go.

As a company, we have been contacted directly through a variety of channels about this. Facebook for one and several different staff have been trying to help. One was fishing team staff that was trying to help by offering the deck pad kit as a good faith measure. He would not have known we may not have stock of the deck pad kit (was on a weekend too).

We will reach out directly again.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
I've been hearing about this situation and spoke with you personally about this a week ago. Unfortunate that it has been so upsetting. We never expect a consumer to solve their own problem, but when a defect is found... having to work through the dealer is the go.

As a company, we have been contacted directly through a variety of channels about this. Facebook for one and several different staff have been trying to help. One was fishing team staff that was trying to help by offering the deck pad kit as a good faith measure. He would not have known we may not have stock of the deck pad kit (was on a weekend too).

We will reach out directly again.

Matt, I thought we were done with this horrible experience but whoever I talked to said "..the shipping system will not retrieve the tracking number. The order was shipped yesterday, and should be on your doorstep early next week" Yesterday I reached out to Hobie Fishing and was told the order never shipped... not a shocker!

And no it was not on a weekend, Matt. It was on April 25th (Wednesday) at 5:44pm CST. The second confirmation I got April 26th (Thursday) at 12:51pm CST.

It seems like youre more worried about covering your butt than accepting the situation for what it is. I talked to my dealer, who is amazing, and I will live with it. I just want others to beware before making the commitment.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
John (UnknownCompass),

I have seen your pictures on the Hobie Compass Facebook page. I cannot understand why you are getting so bent out of shape over a serial # that is documented and is also underneath the rudder handle. You PM'd me and while I understand your concern, I think you're letting something small become something big. If the corrected screw retainer for the transducer cover on the bottom works, doesn't leak and isn't seen when the cover is attached...what's the big deal? If that small blemish isn't something you can live with, then don't ever take the Compass inshore saltwater fishing as the hull will get scratched up.

As stated in the other posts, it's the dealer's primary responsibility to address your concerns. You purchased it from the dealer. The dealer can submit warranty claims to Hobie and they can decide how to handle your warranty claim. Getting on this forum and bashing Hobie products doesn't help you or the the people on this forum. Yes it's a big investment to purchase a Hobie Mirage drive kayak, but you will find the money well spent after fishing from a Hobie as opposed to other brands.

Steve

Im glad you saw the pictures. I want to make sure I make as many people aware as I can. I was getting bent out of shape because a botched screw and a MISSING serial number should not happen if there is quality control. I dont fish saltwater but ill gladly take my own kayak out and scratch it. Id rather it not come that way brand new from the factory.

No one is bashing hobie products. Im simply stating facts. Ive fished out of it...caught my PB bass yesterday out of it actually. Ive owned and fished other brand and models. Yeah the boat is okay and all but the customer service and the guys who work their are not, especially the first guy I ever talked to in the warranty department.

Thanks for your input Steve :) you should apply at hobie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
Post away...

No serial#? Man that's a good one. I'd like to see it, lol. If that's true, It'd be incredible.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We are long time hobie owners and have owned 8 hobies over the years, your not being fair here in my opinion. If you noticed no serial number on the boat, just bring it to the attention of the dealer, they will engrave it in for you. It was an obviouse screw up by someone in the factory, not the end of the world as your describing. Actually I’ve been on this forum a long time, and this is the first time I have heard this one, (yea somebody screwed up, easily fixed by the dealer, (that’s what they do). The serial number is engraved into the hull with an engraver in the factory I believe, this one was missed aparently, not a big deal, you could engrave it in yourself if your handy.
However, the only reason I’m responding here is, there is a very important document that you get from the dealer called the certificate of origin document, (some call it the HID document). You have to get this document from the dealer, if you ever plan to add a trolling motor or register the boat, they will not register and title the kayak without that document. In florida anyway if you don’t have the original sales reciept showing you paid sales tax on the boat, you will be charged sales tax.
We have insurance on all our kayaks, our agent insisted we title and register all our kayaks for insurance reasons. These are not $300 dollar walmart kayaks, they are very expensive, if stolen, then recovered, you will get it back, and btw whoever stole it goes to jail, (no different from a powerboat).
Lol if you ever go to a police impound, you will see stacks of stolen bikes and kayaks, no way to trace back to the owners.
Just tryin to help here
FE

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:45 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

UnknownCompass wrote:
Hobie has the worst customer service I have ever experienced. From the jacked up screws from the factory, to having NO SERIAL NUMBER on the boat, to the unsatisfactory customer service from the warranty guy, all the way to the empty promises from the Hobie Fishing Facebook chat.

I was promised a deck mat for the piss poor quality check or lack there of, for the massive inconvenience. I was told it would be here early this week... well it’s Thursday now....

No one is bashing hobie products. Im simply stating facts. Yeah the boat is okay. I’ll never buy another hobie product ever again and I’ll make sure everyone I know does the same.
Lets see if I got this straight. Hobie messed up a screw and omitted a serial number, so you bypassed your dealer and called the Hobie warranty dept. to demand satisfaction. The warranty guy actually tried to help you instead of requiring you to go through your dealer. You didn't like his attitude. Then you got the fishing dept to offer you a complimentary deck mat as a goodwill gesture, but it hasn't arrived soon enough.

Most people over the age of 12 realize that there isn't a manufacturer around that doesn't make a mistake occasionally. Your petulant attitude is not surprising considering that you are too special to follow the simple procedures to get the matter resolved. In Hobie's generous attempt to compensate you for your "massive inconvenience", they only managed to prove the old adage that no good deed goes unpunished!

When you notify the world about what a bad company Hobie is, be sure to sell your Hobie Compass first so you don't appear overly hypocritical, fishing out of the product from the company that you're bashing. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Legalized marijuana affects everyone. Is it affect or effect......I don`t remember.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

UnknownCompass wrote:
Pescatoral Pursuit wrote:
Post away...

Wow. That’s really a major oversight, and whoever signed that off should have to be remediated. But as stated before, you are overblowing the situation. You’ve been compensated for your time, and you’ve got a heck of a boat. A manufacturer like this has lots of moving parts, and most of them are human, and we all know what it means to be human... Personally, I’ve been using a range of Hobie products for quite some time, and though at first, because most of my fishing is in shallow water, I tried to find a non-hobie kayak because shallow water isn’t where the mirage system shines, all roads led right back. There’s no other way I’d rather get to and from my fishing grounds. I’ll deal with their few shortcomings because of their product, and because they, in my experience strive to give their customers the best service.

Perhaps instead of your “world revolves around me” attitude, you should take into consideration that every once in a while, the ball gets dropped and it’s just your dumb luck it happened to you. If somehow, as often happens, Hobie finds a better solution to a manufacturing process (one they are always improving,) and offer everyone but you a free upgrade as they often do, then you can come here and (censored). Or if you get a new kayak delivered with a hole in the bottom or some deformation.

But until then, why don’t you just post up the pic of your PB bass so we can all admire it?

oldyaker wrote:
Legalized marijuana affects everyone. Is it affect or effect......I don`t remember.

Shut up you bogart and pass the chips...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Weasle, I actually did reach out to the dealer. They dont have a way to engrave a serial number that Hobie failed to do. So yeah, I did "follow the rules." Thanks for taking the time out of your not so busy day to leave a comment on the internet. Ive been treated better by Chik Fil A than by hobie "customer service." Not sure what the customer service department is for if all they do is refer you to the dealer.....???

Roadrunner wrote:
UnknownCompass wrote:

I was promised a deck mat for the piss poor quality check or lack there of, for the massive inconvenience. I was told it would be here early this week... well it’s Thursday now....

No one is bashing hobie products. Im simply stating facts. Yeah the boat is okay. I’ll never buy another hobie product ever again and I’ll make sure everyone I know does the same.
Lets see if I got this straight. Hobie messed up a screw and omitted a serial number, so you bypassed your dealer and called the Hobie warranty dept. to demand satisfaction. The warranty guy actually tried to help you instead of requiring you to go through your dealer. You didn't like his attitude. Then you got the fishing dept to offer you a complimentary deck mat as a goodwill gesture, but it hasn't arrived soon enough.

Most people over the age of 12 realize that there isn't a manufacturer around that doesn't make a mistake occasionally. Your petulant attitude is not surprising considering that you are too special to follow the simple procedures to get the matter resolved. In Hobie's generous attempt to compensate you for your "massive inconvenience", they only managed to prove the old adage that no good deed goes unpunished!

When you notify the world about what a bad company Hobie is, be sure to sell your Hobie Compass first so you don't appear overly hypocritical, fishing out of the product from the company that you're bashing. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:29 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

UnknownCompass wrote:
Hey Weasle, I actually did reach out to the dealer. They dont have a way to engrave a serial number...
Compliments will get you everywhere, you silver tongued devil. Besides, if you were sharp enough to buy a Hobie, you can't be all that bad. I want to help. First I'm going to send you a spelling and grammar book, care of your local dealer if you'll be so kind as to tell me who it is. Second, I'll share the secret with you about how to engrave a serial number on a Hobie. Pay close attention:

This is called an engraver and your dealer can purchase one for $8.00, or less with a 20% off coupon, or your dealer can borrow one from the local PD for free:

This is called an engraving. It looks difficult to master, but it only needs to be legible to be considered valid.
Note: this is an actual serial number engraving on an actual Hobie Kayak.

If your dealer can write, he can do this with a little practice. You, on the other hand, should not attempt it because it might precipitate another massive inconvenience and we don't need another one of those! Good luck. :wink: