Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2018 Hobie Mirage Compass and I'd like to install gear trac/track on the gunnel in the stern where the red markings are on the picture. Is it safe to screw into that area? Where are the rudder lines on this kayak?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm not certain but it sure looks like you will have some rudder steering lines to deal with on the left side.

If you're unsure you can always put your cell phone on an extension and video what the inside of the kayak looks like in those areas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:43 am 
Site Admin

I think you should be OK, but maybe stick your phone in the hull to have a look via video.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone. I was just at the Hobie dealer in my area and we mapped it out together as he wasn't sure either.

Stern - Right Side (top of picture) - this side is 100% clear.

Stern - Left Side (bottom of picture) - this side has the rudder steering lines. They are encased in two tubes that run through that area and then bend toward the center rudder piece in the very back. The good news is that they are encased so if you drill slowly you will likely not penetrate the casings as they are somewhat mobile in that area. That said, I'm going to try to go with a different approach and mount three mighty mounts instead. Two in front of the rod holders on either side, and one at the stern near the handle. This avoids all cables and gives me some better mounting options. But again, I believe you can mount gear track where the red lines are, just be careful on the left/bottom of picture side, drill slowly, don't penetrate the tubing and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You could tape a small strip of wood up underneath there, while you drill, if you can get access via the rudder hatch in back. If not, this seems like the perfect opportunity to put a Hobie twist and seal hatch in the rear well area. Will expand your storage options to boot.

“Do not try and bend the spoon, that’s impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth… there is no spoon.”

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

An Update: Thanks everyone. Here's what I ended up doing.... I mounted what I needed to mount in three places in the stern. Right behind the seat on the sides and then I purchased the micro pole mount and drilled holes in that mount to mount the mount (boy that's a mouthful) that I needed on that. All the mounts are working fine and there's no interference with the rudder cabling.