Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 2021 Compass Owner
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Finally dove in and purchased a new 2021 Compass in the Camo color. It is currently in my garage, wrapped in the factory plastic, waiting for spring to hit Michigan. I would like to do some modifications/improvements before spring, but I am wondering about any warranty implications and whether or not I should make certain it floats first and does not leak. Below are the mods I would like to do… any thoughts?

Rectangular hatch upgrade, moving the round one up front
Anchor trolley install
Deck mat install
BerleyPro side pockets, both sides

Additional questions…

Seat risers… necessary, helpful? Who has the best?
Keel protection… Gorilla tape, or is there something better
Handle upgrade… the flimsy handles are useless. Has anybody done an effective improvement on these?

Anything else I should be considering? Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My dealer does the rectangular hatch installs so presumably this upgrade doesn't affect warranty, same for side pickets, keel guard etc.
I'd just put the standing pads either side of rectangular hatch, never saw much point to a whole deck pad kit that just costs way more and gives sand a good place to catch.
The side handles are useless, like no point to them at all, they aren't even at centre of gravity so can't be used - big flaw and failure by Hobie, same as poor quality control on new kayaks compared to those a few years old.
For me they are 2 holes in the side of the kayak that should never have been cut, with 2 very cheap and nasty black plastic inserts - If I keep the Compass I'll probably get them plastic welded up as they look horrible, same as the cheap $5 rod holders that replaced the much better moulded in type on older models - its another weak that shows Hobie are no longer a premium product, by a company cutting corners and saving costs, just look at the 2022 seat, my dealer actually said to me it's gone from a vantage seat to just a bit of cheap and nasty flyscreen over some thin alloy tube like the budget passport.
I'm looking at putting PA bow handles on the sides just in front of the steering control, alternatively you can mount these on the floor under the seat each side. If like me you want to try and lift it over your head onto a car (it's 80lb too not 68lb as quoted by Hobie but that's a whole other story), the centre of gravity of mine is approx at the front of the front seat risers, check yours to ensure not nose/tail heavy if wanting to carry by these handles - in this position they would also help to stand up and something to grab. You can also use the 9" H rails in the same spot but would need to be over the steering control, but the PA handles look almost the same are a bit smaller stronger and fully plastic so lighter.
Sorry for the negativity, I'm a bit over Hobie products that are no longer quality and no longer well though out.
Good luck, drilling holes shouldn't void warranty unless a crack starts at one of the holes, or a screw thread cuts one of the steering etc lines.
I'd also consider a seat Kushion as the rear lower seat bar is a pain and poor design. Pre 2021 owners should be given a replacement redesigned vantage seat as it's a recall/warranty issue but there's been no help from Hobie, just an option to buy a Kayak Kushion at your own expense so you don't feel the bar in your backside.