Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie compass rudder gap
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just put together my brand new 2022 hobie compass and there is a 1/4 inch gap between the rudder plate and the rudder drum plate. I have sent hobie warranty department an email with videos awaiting an answer to see if this is within normal operating specs. I went back to the dealer to see if they had the same gap on the floor models and did not see the gap. I have checked for obstructions or loose parts I found nothing. Is anyone else having this “issue” and what effect if any will it have on steering or anything else. I tried to post a photo but it is impossible from an iPhone.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I was told through the warranty department from a Hobie engineer, that the gap is to allow for thermal expansion of the hull. Now this would be true if the whole rudder system wasn’t screwed / bolted together and made of hard plastic. Even if the kayak expands or retracts that wouldn’t cause that portion to move at all it would just expand around it. There was no reason for me to argue or explain thermal expansion and get myself worked up. As a 25 year mechanic I might know a thing or 2 about thermal expansion. But I’m not the engineer and I’m assuming it shouldn’t effect the performance so I’m just going to use it as is. Since I have already emailed the warranty department if there is an issue it is covered for 3 years.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Rotomolding is an imperfect process/art. Some tolerances are designed-in to limit net fit issues. If the rudder post was slightly askew for example, the rudder might contact the keel. The MirageDrive is also an example as the drive wells vary due to uneven shrinking of the material during cooling. This can vary by the thickness or color of the material, when pulled from the mold or when cooling fixtures are applied. You will note a rocking fore and aft of most drives in the wells as we have to allow for some distortion. The drive has to lock into the two Click and Go but does not have to rest evenly on the fore and aft ledges. Once pedaling, the drive seats forward and rests on the forward ledge. Not at all an exact science.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Totally get that but why not just respond with what amount of “slop” is acceptable from the factory, I would have been fine with that answer. Like I said I’m sure it won’t effect the performance but it is new and I had to ask because the instructional video says it should fit tight and flush. Should the issues cause damage to parts or uneven wear that’s what the warranty is for. I just wanted to know if that was an acceptable gap.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Not a specification we have. This industry is not that technical. No torque settings, tolerances etc... Hulls are always shaped by hand. They are built to allow +/- 3% shrink when coming out of the mold and do vary.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well took it out on its test run and the rudder performed fine, to bad my hull is leaking. After a check it’s leaking below the water line at the right aft screw insert for the fish finder cover and the right click and go. 1 1/2 gallons in 3 hrs.