Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Compass Weight
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a 2021 Compass to cartop, with the older seat not the new 2022 passport seat.
The idea was to replace my older sport which is a little cramped and doesn't paddle/track that well, yet light enough to dead lift over my head onto car roof racks. The lighter weight was the main factor that I chose Compass over Outback.

Hobie specs say Compass 31kg (68lb) fitted hull, my Sport is 28kg fitted (which I've checked and is correct).
The Compass felt heavy to me which I mentioned to the dealer (I'm in NSW Australia) and that I wanted to be able to deadlift it over my head onto my car, but they assured me it was only 31kg unrigged.

Unfortunately when I got home I weighed it and found the fitted weight is 36kg (80lb)!!!.
I went back to the dealer the next day and they just said "yeah right" and weren't concerned that it's 5kg (11lb) or 20% too heavy, so I can't deadlift it onto my car.
I've bought 5 Hobies from this dealer so expected some help sorting out a brand new kayak with Manufacturer weight issues, but nope nothing!
I don't want to use Kayak loaders, trailers or pull out roof rack bars etc, if I did I'd have bought an Outback.

Can other people weigh theirs unrigged (no paddle, no seat, no pedals, etc) please and let me know what yours weighs?

It's pretty disappointing paying $4k only to find it's not suitable because the manufacturer's specs are completely wrong.
I'm left with no help from the dealer and having to sell my brand new Compass at a loss...
I'd caution other buyers that are considering a Compass because of weigh that mine is 80lb unrigged, as I suspect most are...

Post subject: Re: Compass Weight
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't know where you found the weight specifications, but Hobie clearly shows this information on line:
Fitted Hull Weight: 68 lbs / 31 kg
Fully Rigged Weight: 87 lbs / 39 kg

If you weighed your Compass to be 80 pounds, that's 7 pounds less than Hobie's published information.....

I would assume the fitted hull weight is only the hull with its internal components.....nothing else.

Once the mirage drive, seat, paddle any other "add on parts" are included like a fish finder/sonar, battery, etc, then the fully rigged weight is noted.

Surely, Matt can clarify the questions you raised.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:13 am 
Site Admin

FITTED HULL WEIGHT: 68 LBS / 31 KG
FULLY RIGGED WEIGHT: 87 LBS / 39 KG (with seat, drive etc)

These are approximate weights and sometimes during the years, additional materials are added to strengthen areas that are thin. This can be due to a different color or different mold being used. It is possible that is what happened here. 11 lbs sounds like a lot though!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt, I suspect that's a small contributor to has happened. The 2021 has 2 extra scupper holes moulded in which add a lot of strength for standing but would also add some weight. I'm wondering if my camo colour is also heavier than Seagrass, orange or blue then? Plus the cheap and nasty plastic rod holders could add a little weight. The earlier moulding may have been too weak and thin so is now a little thicker? Either way not 12lbs as that is a lot of extra weight from very minor changes on a kayak that was only released 2-3yrs ago, so Hobie have definitely been misleading people to sell more "lighter" kayaks and need to own up to it, as any change in weight must be updated by Hobie on their website, if not they are breaking the law in Australia. We have an Austrlian consumer law (ACL) which states you can't mislead people, if you do they are entitled to a full refund, so potentially any Compass owners could ask for a refund now if they have one that's way too heavy.

Dr steelhead, I think you misunderstood, as mine is not 7lb lighter. The fitted weight is 80lb which is just the hull and internal components, no paddle, no pedals, no seat as I already said. My fully rigged weight is 97lb.

It's just disappointing spending so much money and having the dealer not care when I spoke to them face to face the day after I bought it and when the kayak is still broad new. I'd have bought an outback if I'd known the compass was just as heavy as it, or swapped this for a revo 11 which is hopefully lighter.

Can some other people weight theirs empty unrigged and let me know the weight and colours please? If blue or green is actually 68lbs I'll return mine under the ACL and buy a different colour at a Sydney dealer, not the one in Newcastle that doesn't care.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not to be rude but with some upper body work you should be able to gain the muscle needed to press it on to the car.

Also if Fully rigged is an issue remove remove the wait then put back on after it is put up.

I personally would not travel with a fully rigged kayak on top of my car as to much could come loose and fly off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Get yourself a Malone load roller. It's ~$200 but worth every penny. Makes loading/unloading a Compass Duo as easy as a Lynx and keeps the boat from being scratched .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you check inside the hull? 12lbs should be the seats, paddle, and drive. There's no reason for that large of a discrepancy.