Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Leaker
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sold my 2019 Compass so I could get a 2021 with MD180 (which I really like). Unfortunately, after my 10th outing which lasted 2 and 1/2 hours, I came in with 2 and 1/2 quarts of water in the hull. Dealer said put it on stands, add water to hull and look for leaks. I did and the leak was immediately apparent coming from the front right scupper hole - quite steady. Took the boat to the dealer who repeated the test with the same results and concluded there was a crack. He said he would contact Hobie regarding a warranty claim. Been 2 weeks with no word. And, to make matters more interesting, he said no more 2021 hulls would be available so he would check with Hobie to see if they would send a 2022 hull with a seat, seeing as how my 2021 seat (which I just installed $100 seat risers on and I really like) would not fit. Meanwhile, the summer is going by. Hobie, Hobie, Hobie !!! In view of the premium price, wouldn't it be easier to design and build quality boats rather than have unhappy customers with warranty claims?
David

Post subject: Re: Another Leaker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:05 am 
Site Admin

You can seal off that scupper top and bottom to get use of the boat.

Can't track a claim without knowing the dealer involved, but claims are typically processed within days here. Shipping can take longer.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the response, Matt. Hearing anything at all is better than nothing at all. Out of curiosity, how do you seal off the scupper with a leak? Can the dealer do that for me and let me use the boat while a warranty claim is in process? Again, thanks for your input. Much appreciated. Regarding the dealer identification, is there anyway I can provide you that info other than this forum?
David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

If leaking around / within the area the scupper reinforcement tube is... silicone or 5200 around the top and bottom of the black reinforcement tube could do it. You could tape over the bottom of the scupper and top as well.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Happy to report Hobie approved warranty claim on my 2021 leaking compass. Took 4 weeks - but it's approved. Now I have to wait for delivery of my replacement hull and new style seat estimated to arrive in 2 to 4 weeks. Anyone looking for an old style seat with risers attached?