Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 2020 Camo edition compass. Does anyone know if the H-rail kit for the lynx is compatible with the compass or if there is a similar H-rail accessory with the integrated tracks that can be mounted on the compass?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like you should be able to make it work on the Compass though it may impact easy and comfortable gripping of the steering handle. You can attach the front brackets to your H-Tracks but will need additional hardware to attach the rear brackets and may need to shorten (cut) the rails a bit. You will want the aft brackets close to but in front of the rod holders so you can get nuts on the screws inside the hull. There is a YouTube video of somebody installing the regular 21" H-Rails on a Compass that shows how to access and tighten the aft brackets through the rod holder holes.

Peter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
Looks like you should be able to make it work on the Compass though it may impact easy and comfortable gripping of the steering handle. You can attach the front brackets to your H-Tracks but will need additional hardware to attach the rear brackets and may need to shorten (cut) the rails a bit. You will want the aft brackets close to but in front of the rod holders so you can get nuts on the screws inside the hull. There is a YouTube video of somebody installing the regular 21" H-Rails on a Compass that shows how to access and tighten the aft brackets.

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the reply. That’s a good point about the rudder handle, do you know if there are any plans to include this type of H-rail in other rail kits? The only thing I’ve seen that is similar comes standard on the outback and looks like a great solution if you have existing accessories that already fit H tracks. Also could you recommend the additional hardware that would be needed for the aft brackets?

Thanks,

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
Looks like you should be able to make it work on the Compass though it may impact easy and comfortable gripping of the steering handle. You can attach the front brackets to your H-Tracks but will need additional hardware to attach the rear brackets and may need to shorten (cut) the rails a bit. You will want the aft brackets close to but in front of the rod holders so you can get nuts on the screws inside the hull. There is a YouTube video of somebody installing the regular 21" H-Rails on a Compass that shows how to access and tighten the aft brackets.

Peter

Looks like the rear access would be tough since there is molded in rod holders instead of the drop in style on the new compass. Would I need to install those rod holders to gain access to the inside of the hull for the aft brackets? Any other accessories that would give me an access point near that area that wouldn’t be redundant?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh, sorry. Yes the 2020 Compass has the molded rod holders rather than drop in. You could install a 6" rear hatch. Aside from the utility of the hatch for storage, it would greatly open up the area where you can reach inside the hull to mount accessories.

The rear bracket for the Lynx H-Rail mount kit attaches with a single screw for a tapped hole built into the Lynx. So you will just need to drill a hole and use some appropriate washers and nuts to secure from inside. If the screws aren't long enough then you might need longer screws. Use decent sized washers to spread the load. I use red Loctite on all in-hull hardware.

If it were me, I'd buy the kit, carefully assemble and lay the left rail and brackets on the kayak, and see how they might interfere with the steering handle, and how the length is. Also, the rails are curved so you want to make sure that curve works with the Compass shape. If all good, proceed. If not, return for refund (thus the careful handling of parts). I think this would be a great addition to a Compass if it doesn't interfere with steering. Though the kit seems to be a bit hard to find right now.

I expected Hobie to switch the rails in the 9" and 21" H-Rail kits to the style with a built-in H-Track on top but that hasn't happened yet. If the 21" rail were available this way, it is a nice fit on the Compass and can be installed such that it does not interfere with the steering handle. If you just want a raised H-Track and aren't going to use H-Rail accessories, you could just install the Ram Hand-Track rails though I have not verified they are accessory-compatible with Hobie mounts.

Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
Oh, sorry. Yes the 2020 Compass has the molded rod holders rather than drop in. You could install a 6" rear hatch. Aside from the utility of the hatch for storage, it would greatly open up the area where you can reach inside the hull to mount accessories.

The rear bracket for the Lynx H-Rail mount kit attaches with a single screw for a tapped hole built into the Lynx. So you will just need to drill a hole and use some appropriate washers and nuts to secure from inside. If the screws aren't long enough then you might need longer screws. Use decent sized washers to spread the load. I use red Loctite on all in-hull hardware.

If it were me, I'd buy the kit, carefully assemble and lay the left rail and brackets on the kayak, and see how they might interfere with the steering handle, and how the length is. Also, the rails are curved so you want to make sure that curve works with the Compass shape. If all good, proceed. If not, return for refund (thus the careful handling of parts). I think this would be a great addition to a Compass if it doesn't interfere with steering. Though the kit seems to be a bit hard to find right now.

I expected Hobie to switch the rails in the 9" and 21" H-Rail kits to the style with a built-in H-Track on top but that hasn't happened yet. If the 21" rail were available this way, it is a nice fit on the Compass and can be installed such that it does not interfere with the steering handle. If you just want a raised H-Track and aren't going to use H-Rail accessories, you could just install the Ram Hand-Track rails though I have not verified they are accessory-compatible with Hobie mounts.

Peter

You know I bet I could just install a short track section in front of the molded in rod holders and use track nuts to install the h rail kit fully on tracks without having to install a rear hatch. It might not be as sturdy but I don’t plan to lift the kayak by the rails. The main use will be for installing outriggers and rod holders. What do you think?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Unless I am missing something, you would still need access inside the hull to tighten nuts were you to install the 12" flat track kit.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
Unless I am missing something, you would still need access inside the hull to tighten nuts were you to install the 12" flat track kit.

Peter

I’m planning to get a short section of track with a full backing plate so that I can use rigging bullets to install without a rear hatch. Just waiting on the Lynx track to arrive to double check the fit but I think it should work as long as the bend matches up.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That should work. If it were me, I would probably mount the rear H-Rail bracket using an appropriate screw through the track and into one of the track backing plate threaded screw holes.

The only problem I see is that the Lynx tracks are recessed flush into the hull such that the H-Rail kit mounts flush against the hull at each end. The Compass track is raised as will be the rear tracks you add. Not sure how the H-Rail brackets will lay and look.

Peter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
That should work. If it were me, I would probably mount the rear H-Rail bracket using an appropriate screw through the track and into one of the track backing plate threaded screw holes.

The only problem I see is that the Lynx tracks are recessed flush into the hull such that the H-Rail kit mounts flush against the hull at each end. The Compass track is raised as will be the rear tracks you add. Not sure how the H-Rail brackets will lay and look.

Peter

I’ll have to see how the fit looks using the existing h rail and one set of tracks mounted near the rod holders. I suppose another option could be to mount the rear of the rail with a well nut and the front to the h track. Do you think that would be a strong enough mounting approach? I’d really like to avoid adding a hatch if I can. Another option would be to position it such that I would mount the same type of track ahead of the h track and a second section near the rod holders or next to the seat if the rails are long enough and the bend works. I store my compass on the gunnels supported with crossbars so having the h rails mounted to tracks would be ideal to be able to remove them so they don’t interfere with the crossbars.

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think it will look just fine on the existing track and the one you will add.

I almost never use well nuts. Not a fan. But I have had to do some crazy things instead. Like live video in the hull while I maneuver a ratchet duck taped upright to a 3' piece of PVC pipe with a 1' extension to the socket while a friend turns the screw on the outside. I have also fabricated and tapped my own threaded backing plates then used string tied to a washer to position them.

Peter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

plfinch wrote:
I think it will look just fine on the existing track and the one you will add.

I almost never use well nuts. Not a fan. But I have had to do some crazy things instead. Like live video in the hull while I maneuver a ratchet duck taped upright to a 3' piece of PVC pipe with a 1' extension to the socket while a friend turns the screw on the outside. I have also fabricated and tapped my own threaded backing plates then used string tied to a washer to position them.

Peter

Here’s the finished product. They fit the compass hull perfectly with no modification to the rails. I don’t have any issues with the rudder handle but they do cover the non-functional cup holder. I ended up mounting four sections of track with backing plates so I could attach the rails with tracknuts and remove if needed. If anyone is following and has a newer compass with the flush mount rod holders and a front hatch I think you could easily bolt these to the hull through those access points. If you can find the rails in stock they make a great addition to the compass.

https://i.imgur.com/jycNXDc.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hc2zLyZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/37moNmx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/F6XHZYU.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice! Great job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just found a pair of 21" H-rails in Australia, should be here to me next week. Am planning on installing them on my 2022 compass I just got. There was another member on here who used Toggle straps for the rear mount. Am considering that, not sure if my hands will fit through the rod holder hole. :). Either seems to be a workable solution.

Such a solid addition to the compass. Yours looks awesome.