Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigging on water
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am newbie. On a location that i have to rig on lake water for a Hobie 16. Any best way to do this?

Post subject: Re: Rigging on water
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Interesting.....
So where do you store or park your Hobie?
Most of us park on the beach OR Trailer our cats to the water.

Let's assume you trailer the Hobie to the lake.
Staying away from powerlines, why not rig on the trailer (without pinning the mainsail blocks + the jib blocks),
then launch, and when you are in the water, attach the mainsail and jib blocks and GO.

We park our H16 on the 'hard' at our Sailing Club, that is the dry sail area.
We rig on the 'hard', wheel the Hobie to the water, remove the Cat Trax, pin the mainsheets and jib sheets,
and we are good to go.

Any time you rig on the water, you have to be EXTREMELY careful with ring dings and clevis pins and other little bits that LOVE to fall in the water.

Happy sailing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your response. Have a lakeside home with about a four foot drop into the lake. So I built a ramp to slide the Hobie into the water. I also create a buoy to anchor the Hobie offshore about 20 feet. Unfortunately, the winds are never straight onshore for rigging on land and typically the winds are in the range of 7 to 14 mph. Thus, I am anchoring the boat unrigged to the buoy and letting it drift into the wind.
One day the winds were non existent and tried to rig. As you have indicated, i lost one of the pins. So next time I will have extra. The other problem was getting in front on the tip of the bow to raise the main sail the last few feet.
Have yet to successfully rig the boat on the water.

I might just wait to no wind days or maybe build a dock. The problem with a dock is removing it come winter.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobies are not built to be moored.
Sail them, then bring them back on dry land.
Yes, you can moor for a lunch break, but never longer than a couple of hours.

What some folks do is to built a raft, covered in carpet, and you can moor the Hobie on top of that. (Tied down, of course.)
OR build a boat lift, and store it there.

And yes, spare parts are a great idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Where I keep my boats it is extremely muddy and obstructed by docks on each side. A sea wall prevents beaching .

Typically we load the main and jib up on the boat, take it off the rack and paddle it to a park that is maybe 150 ft away where it is sandy. I have room to pull it on the grass if I need to pull the plugs or drop the mast, etc. but it is obstructed by trees so we rig the sails in the water.

Not much different than on land except you are a couple feet shorter (standing in 2 feet of water).

Keep extra ring dings and pins in your pocket - you will drop one eventually. I figure soon there will be enough in the sand that I will be able to start seeing them and picking them up.

When done sailing reverse the operation.

1977 H16 Tequila Sunrise
1984 H16 Blue Hawaii (My girlfriend's boat but I'll claim it)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the idea. The consensus seems to be that mooring is not the place to rig. I am about 500 yards for a place to beach and rig the Hobie. I am going to post another question and see if it is feasible just to rig the jib and sail to a more suitable main sheet rigging.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You pre rig some of the boat on shore. At least hook up jib but don't raise it, and bundle it together with a bungie and tighten ropes to keep it out of water. You can raise the main while out on the water staying on tramp just rotate the mast and booms you are face the front of mast on stand with one foot on front rail. To raise jib grab line and pull as you undo the bungie. Hope this helps I do it all the time solo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe the way I have my boat setup would work well for rigging while moored. I've also rigged in deep water a few times. I have mine setup for speed and ease of rigging since sometimes I'll go out 3-4 times per week for a short time. Here is a brief overview, explained in reverse order when I put her away for the evening and ready to go for the next sail...

1. Lower the main, this can be easily done if your luff is loose in the track, but if you need to ease the friction, you can step out on the hull extending the halyard to let it drop easier or maybe pull down on the sail if needed. Unclip the shackle for the main, I use one with a spring loaded pin that cannot fall out. Loop the halyard line around the bottom of the cleat, back up through the shackle, then back down and tie of tightly to the cleat. Roll the main up loosely and sit it on the tramp as it comes down. untension the downhaul and slide the boom out of the tramp and just lay it down right there. I have a 6:1 downhaul with a quick pin, but I just leave it pinned 24/7.

2. Next release the jib just enough the ease tension and tie off the halyard so it doesn't get away from you. I use a quick pin shackle for the jib on the head/front stay adjuster, which has a safety tether so it's no big deal if I drop it. If you are out in deep water, you have to walk out onto the hull and grab onto the bridle wires for support and keep good balance. It's not easy, but it's not too bad with a quick pin. Don't touch the clew shackle, leave it. Just make sure the jib sheet is uncleated so that when you move the jib back over the tramp the lines ease with it. Ease the halyard the rest of the way, unhook the shackle and store it the same way as the main halyard. I have a fanny pack clipped near the mast base with pliers in there for the jib shackle. Since last year I've simply been using the mast track to loosen/snug the shackle, no tools needed. Roll or flake the jib next to the main or what I do is partially roll it into the main.

3. Keep the mainsheet block attached to the boom. I have a snap shackle, but it's just as easy to keep it clipped 24/7.

4. Everything should lay pretty flat and organized, I have a fitted canvas cover which came with the boat, but any kind of cover would work to keep the sails out of the sun. If you want to store your sails elsewhere, just unsnap the downhaul and main block snap shackles, remove the jib clew shackle and you can take it all with you with the jib rolled into the main, easy enough to carry in one trip.

Hope this helps.