Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have acquired a new to me old style mast one piece. ( to replace my cracked one )

I was always able to get my main sail up with the old mast though it took alot of effort to raise it the last few feet. My new mast starts sticking really badly over the last 6 feet to the point I can't raise it.

I have to double check that my newly installed Bob is not interfering with the uphaul , but if it isn't , does anyone have any suggestions on ways to raise the main with less effort ? Any lubricant in the track or on the bead of the sail ?

ALSO the uphaul cable itself , is there anyway I can take one of the ends off so I can replace this cable ?

thnks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

There is nothing wrong with your equipment. You can't just pull the sail up with the halyard. There is too much luff built in to the sail and it binds. You essentially need to "push" it up. Get a helper, with the sail pancaked between your two hands push it up the track while your helper gradually pulls up the slack in the halyard.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Even though making sure the track is clean and a NON petroleum based lubricant is helpful...

As Silver Fox stated, raising the last two feet or so of the main is a "scooch/pull scooch/pull" movement

Have your crew push up (as described) at the batten pocket above the boom (scooch) and hold, then you pull that slack up with the halyard.
Repeat until sail is at the top of mast. Only expect six to eight inches per movement.

You can do this by yourself, always remember to hold tension on the halyard while you move back out in front of the mast to pull up the "scooch"

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To include with what others have suggested, just pour fresh water
on the bead (rope) of the sail before hoisting. It will act as a lubricant.

Greg
1984 H16 Tequila Sunrise

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie support article on raising mainsail:
https://www.hobie.com/articles/sail-hoisting-and-halyard-locks,89/
The part about batten tension is very important. Boat must be turned into the wind. Check for pinching/galling of the luff track on the new-to- you mast. If you have an old wire halyard with the second nicopress fitting for reefing, make sure it's not getting hung up in masthead.

Short of removing the masthead sheave, I expect you have to cut off one of the thimbles on the old wire halyard to remove it. The Hobie replacement apparently requires that the new thimble be pressed on after installation: https://westcoastsailing.net/hobie-16-main-halyard-non-comptip/

The Murray's replacement does not: https://www.murrays.com/product/02-0273-50/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I second the comment about dumping a kids bucket of water on the bolt rope, it works really well!

Along this topic, I now have an almost new boat with a comp-tip mast, and the two sections are not very well aligned. This always causes binding at that point on the second batten down when raising the new sails.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yup, wet the luff rope with water and scooch it up with a push pull action. I had to cut my wire and used Murray's to replace without issues.