Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: reefing
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SRM,

thanks for the information. I am not going to bother with the reefing idea. Just learn to sail what I have more proficiently!!

would it be better, or easier to sail with just the main up, particualrly when you single hand it??

Where to be, On the Edge
2008 hobie 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You really need the jib to tack.... but go out when there are other boats about and try it out for yourself... i have done it... just for fun "I have a furling jib set-up..." but i think it was just luck the few times i was able to get around.... the jib really helps push the boat around....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

waldorf wrote:
You really need the jib to tack.... but go out when there are other boats about and try it out for yourself... i have done it... just for fun "I have a furling jib set-up..." but i think it was just luck the few times i was able to get around.... the jib really helps push the boat around....

Ok, how about sailing under Jib only??? In really high winds, 35+ we have done this. You can tack and Jibe, actually works very nicely.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well,

there is an idea I never would have thought of.

What about coming about in the heavy winds? seems to me you would get stuck in irons and have to back up. Or, is it easier to jib. If I jib in heavy winds I am most apt to capsize.

Where to be, On the Edge
2008 hobie 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can tack, it is not as easy as jibing. Now, jibing in high winds with jib only is much safer than with the main.

Have fun.

Post subject: reefing question
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you pull a reef in a Hobie 16 main, and decide not to use the jib, then you HAVE to tension the rig with the jib halyard,if this is not done the boat will not sail properly. If you do it correctly the boat will tack as easy as a 14. 8)

Post subject: Re: Reefing Question
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have an old 80s (i think) tequila sunrise sail with reefing points on the sail and i have the old halyard with the second notch for reefing. We dont get alot of wind usually but if it blows hard its usually in the 20-35 mph range. I would like to use the reefing capability since i am able to. Theres no way i would go out on a day like that with full main and jib... not yet atleast.

I have no idea how to reef it though. I have never reefed a sail before. Where can i find this information

Also would a reefed main and jib be pointless. Doesnt most of the power come from jib. would it be better to just go out with a reefed main

1971 H16 (sail #1768)

To all of you on the Hobie Forum... I love you guys!!!
thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Reefing is not ideal as I believe it wears the main out quicker and you do lose speed. When sailing solo you have the choice of either reefing or losing the jib, not ideal as well. At 86kg I get thrown over too easily. Personally I would only reef on a dam and not on the sea.

Sailing with just the main - is a hassle.

With just the jib - also a hassle. (did 16.3 knots with 100kg crew-1st time sailor).

Keeping jib and main is easy if you reef. Hard to explain but you pull the main till it catches in the second slug. Then get a rope from hinge at boom then tie the first hole, then continuing through all the eyes till end of boom. Before tightening, I fold the sail over into the space between boom and sail then tighten. You will need another rope to go through first eyelet on sail for your down haul, and you can't really crank it in like usual.

Its a 50 50 as to whether it's worth it, in our regatta's we win some races reefed and we lose some to the newer boats with crew and un-reefed.

My best solution is to go three up, you don't pitch pole and capsize, the 16 behaves like a 18 - you just turn it into a submarine. The fun factor is worth it. The other saying is - if you have to reef you shouldn't sail because of the abuse of the boat and sails.

Here you can still have fun and learn to enjoy sailing in strong winds. Beats drinking beer on shore watching others have fun. Any sailing is good sailing.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sgtpepperoni00 wrote:
i have an old 80s (i think) tequila sunrise sail with reefing points on the sail and i have the old halyard with the second notch for reefing. We dont get alot of wind usually but if it blows hard its usually in the 20-35 mph range. I would like to use the reefing capability since i am able to. Theres no way i would go out on a day like that with full main and jib... not yet atleast.

I have no idea how to reef it though. I have never reefed a sail before. Where can i find this information

Also would a reefed main and jib be pointless. Doesnt most of the power come from jib. would it be better to just go out with a reefed main

it would be best to show you in person, there is a forum member name waldorf, check his post's and get with him, I recomend using a Hobie 16 assembly manual for exact details.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Go full power...or don't go at all 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Over 25 knt. I keep the Hobie at home and go windsurfing. Way more fun - way easier to adjust the gear to the wind.

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wind surfing is fun ...but you can not take your friends along, and no place to put beer.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What are you takling about??? http://www.star-board.com/2009/pages/products/v_gemini.php

Never really missed the beer on a hobie or on a windsurfboard - but if the days comes I will be prepaed with my camelback. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am guessing that board will take a lot of wind to go two up. Also how well does she point? Each to his own

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had 20+ at the Outer Banks yesterday and decided to try reefing the main (original '77 sails). I have the Comptip but just tied the halyard off and managed the luff tension with it and the downhaul. The problem was that I ended up with so much leech tension that I started to break some stitches on the first batten pocket above the reef. I'm assuming it's my own fault for not getting it reefed exactly evenly but it is a PITA compared to other boats due to the mast rake. With the boom not at 90° to the mast you have some geometry issues. Would have been much simpler if the reefing hole on the tack would have gone into the gooseneck, but it doesn't. Or at least I couldn't see how. So I ended up tying things off here and there. The sail shape actually looked good but then I heard the stitches going so I had to head home. Bummer because it was a great evening for sailing; we could have managed the boat without the reef but wanted to try it.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages