PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Any one used it?

How well does it work?

Thanks !!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:10 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

1) You're in the wrong forum.

2) Do a search - it's been covered many times before.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm confused. Why is an H-16 question posted in the H-16 forum not in the right place? The second answer to his question was correct but sounds a little abrupt.

I have seen recent posts about the anti-pitch hydrofoil so a search would bring up a lot of the discussion. There seems to be a lot of different opinions on them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

hrtsailor wrote:
I'm confused. Why is an H-16 question posted in the H-16 forum not in the right place?
Because Matt M. moved it after I responded.
Was originally posted in the 18 forum.

Sorry if my response was a little terse, but I've seen the question asked at least a dozen times. A cursory search would turn up a wealth of information.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What does it take to get a topic in the FAQ?? Don't you ever get tired of the "how to rebuild rudder locks" question?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:18 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

sunvista wrote:
What does it take to get a topic in the FAQ?? Don't you ever get tired of the "how to rebuild rudder locks" question?

The FAQs are generally concerned with OEM issues - not aftermarket parts issues.

Besides, whether or not the hydrofoils "work" is a subjective issue; as far as I know, there is no empirical data on their effectiveness.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A long time ago I was sitting in a Physics class listening to a Phd lecture on nuclear physics and giving formulas for binding energy. One of the students asked a question and the professor's reply was "I answered that question a few minutes ago. If you look back in your notes you will find the answer. Now does anyone have any legitimate questions?". Obviously from that point on no one asked any questions. If you get tired of seeing the same questions or of hearing it a dozen times, and cut people off when they ask it, you will get the same result. You will kill their interest. The poster has posted on this forum twice. I think he needs a little help learning to navigate the forum rather than being discouraged from participating.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The "foils" may help in keeping the bows up in flat water and steady wind, but that is not the kind of conditions that cause most pitchpole type situations. The most common cause is strong gust and or short steep chop. Once the bow dives, the added area of the "foil" will make things worse keeping the bow down and recovery less likely.

The better question is,"what is the best way to keep the Hobie 16 from pitchpoling?" The short answer is proper rigging (rake back the mast, and adjust all else to make it work i.e. rudders raked forward...), and moving weight back, and responding to gust sooner, and sailing around waves, and on and on. The 16 was really prone to pitch before the racers figured out how to tame the beast.

Save your money and find a local experienced racer who will help you make your boat sail faster and better. You will be shocked what 15 minutes of rerigging can do. I took a friend and showed him how the rudders were on backwards, how his rig was too loose, the mast not raked back, rudders not locked down. He left the beach, the boat accelerated, his wife screamed, he laughed, and never looked back. It took less than ten minutes to "fix" his boat and show him how and why. He now has years of more fun ahead.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In three words. Yes they do work (ok 4 words), at least on Hobie 14s they do, so it should be the same for the 16. They aren't going to save you from all pitchpoles, but they do give you a better chance (more time) to react. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a set on my H-16 and am convinced they do work. They provide the "first bounce free" security where it will catch the first time the bow drops under the water and give you a chance to correct speed, weight, etc. If you continue driving the boat without making any corrections, you will pitchpole even with the foils.
My 2 cents!

Keep the pointy side up!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

since no one has dug up an old post/thread yet...

:o

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John- Thank you sir.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

J_Eaton wrote:
since no one has dug up an old post/thread yet...

:o

Was hoping that it would'nt have to resort to this. :lol: :lol: :lol:

David

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You guys are THE BEST !!!!!!!!

Thanks !!!

I now know I will buy the foils AND do all the other tuning stuff too.

Rigged a 1980 16 for the first time, bought 4 years ago, got eveything all messed up, spent $417. on accessories for next summer and really looking forward to flying it. Took the wife out in September and it was a disaster, but for one brief moment, a gust came along after a totally dead morning that REALLY got my adrenaline going and had her yell "SLOW DOWN BOZO !!! " and with that, I AM HOOKED !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the foils on my 16 since new, If I were to buy another 16 I would build the foils myself and double the number of square inches they have. I always felt they needed just a little more lift, especially when the chop and wind came up.