Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Covers
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, the next project for the new boat is a mast cover for the storage lot. After careful consideration :roll: , I've decided to buy a "blue plastic tarp" from Costco and start cutting :shock: . Once I've got the size of the cut pieces down, I'm planning to grommet every foot so that I can lace it up (I figure it needs to breath in order to keep excess moisture out while at the lot). Are there any good (read that to mean "easy" :? ) ways to finish off the edges of the tarps to prevent unraveling, or is that even necessary :?: . Another "I figured" is that duct tape might do the job just as well as anything else and provide a sort of seam tape for strengthening the hold of the grommets :wink: . Since this is a first time go for me, any ideas would be greatly appreciated 8) . Thanks and see you out there :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tuck and stiitch. My cover is made out of thinner material (from Jo Ann's) but I ran a stitch the full length of the mast cover with a gather-tie at the end. I trailer my mast with the cover on. If you can make covers for your rudders and tiller, I'm sure you can stitch a mast cover. :lol: Say, don't I know you from somewhere?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

There is a guy on ebay - powderskiutah - that makes great rudder covers that fit and work perfectly for about $20 with shipping. I thought he had mast covers at one time for about $40. I'm sure he could make one if you asked. If I made my own covers with the time and running around and on top of that what it would look like, it would probably cost twice as much as what this guy would do it for and It wouldn't last as long. I'm not a guy that thinks it's OK to use a empty milk jug for a mast bob either though, I'd rather turtle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Protecting the parts made from some sort of plastic (composit material) from UV ray seems to be a good idea. But why protecting the full length of the mast?

The tarp.... you could try to make the cuts with a hot knife - If you do not have one you could modify a soldering iron (flatten the tip) - The heat will melt the tarp where you cut it and will keep the tarp from unreveling (for a while). Sewing / stitching might not work well with this type of material.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know the blue plastic is cheaper, and I found out why :oops: some of the discount store blue tarps only lasts about a season.

The silver tarps are worth the few extra bucks. (Look at the fitted covers, some are made with this stuff).

I've found that the plastic pushin grommets work very well (don't rust). Try using a length of bungee, or individual bungees, as I also learned :oops: that poly rope will chafe the hulls.