Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

also, something I just looked at. http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/bo ... d_selling/

The boat is an older model, 1978 to be exact, so maybe it was before all of this was requireD? What needs to be done exactly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Older boats can "look" impressive if they have been painted. The decks should be solid with NO flextion. Take both palms, and simultaneously press down firmly on the decks. Did you check the serial numbers for what year? From my experience, it seems like '76 thru '79 are more prone to soft spots, so check it carefully, especially one to two feet in front or behind fore and aft pylons.

johnny872005 wrote:
Also, I would of bought it on the spot, but the guy didnt actually have a title for the boat nor trailer.... He called me back after I left and said he had a "Manufacturer state of origin", and he thinks that acts as a title for the boat? Does anyone have a definate answer on this? (The back of it has the places for signatures etc, like a title does)
He has registration receipts for the boat, and the "manufacturer state of origin", and the same goes for the trailer.

So it sounds like you're in the same boat :) as with the "80's" model. I'd call the DMV or whom ever licenses or titles boats in Texas and ask them EXACTLY what you'll need to be legal, and/or what are options and procedures for lost titles. Don't take any ones word for what worked for them, you may end up with a boat you can't enjoy.

If you're going through the hassle concider the 80's boat (check the serial numbers)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hmmm, there are a ton of used hobie 16 from the 70's and 80's sitting around in back yards that have not been sailed for years. Some of them are sailable, lots of them are soft here or there. This is especially true for TX. Hobie 16's and Pindle 16's are not hard to find - they were hot sellers in the 70's and early 80's. What is difficult is to find is a boat from the 90's or newer (fewer boats were sold). Newer better designs came out - some of the good hobie 16 sailors moved to H 20's or Nacras.

Now my question is, how "hard" is the hull supposed to feel? (What makes a soft spot exactly?)
If you apply a contant force of 150 Nm you should crate a non permanent indentation of no more than 3mm! ( I pulled that one out of my a$$)
Go and find a marina or a yacht club - take the walking tour and feel around on the hobies that sit on that lot. Push on the deck in front of the front pylon - this is where they go soft first. The difference between soft and solid is significant.

Also, I would of bought it on the spot, but the guy didnt actually have a title for the boat nor trailer.... He called me back after I left and said he had a "Manufacturer state of origin", and he thinks that acts as a title for the boat? Does anyone have a definate answer on this? (The back of it has the places for signatures etc, like a title does)
He has registration receipts for the boat, and the "manufacturer state of origin", and the same goes for the trailer.

Not sure what my titel states... I think the "Manufacturer state of origin" is the old school document - Parks and Wildlife changed their registrations process in the 90's - it is possible that this is still the old document. If this is the case this document should be suitable to obtain a current registration and title. I will have a look an my boats documentation this evening.
In the State of Texas the Department of Parks and Wildlife is the authority which issues this paper work. Call them - find out.
Check if "Manufacturer state of origin" hull # matches the numbers on both hulls.

I doubt it's stolen, he has a binder full of all the original instruction books, paperwork etc, and he says everything that came with the boat is in there. Do yall have any suggestions about this?

I am sure it is not stolen... the thing has hardly any value. Most of the time when the title is missing it is because the owner has lost it (most of the hobies are 30 years old - lots of time to loose stuff) or the boat was handed down a couple of times.

Also, I dont think he has an actual registration sheet, but rather registration receipts showing it was registered. He said the boat doesnt look to of EVER had stickers on it.. isnt it required since it is over 16 feet?

Yes ,the boat would have to show a registration code starting with TX ... on both sides of the hulls. There is also a sticker (this year it is blue) that would follow the number. I think this boat was not registerd for a long time - or it might have never been registered in TX.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, I bought it lol. I plan to just toy with this for a year and once I get into sport, probally buy a near new one next year. I'm kinda happy with it, because I know if I sell the sails, they'd bring in almost the entire boat cost, probally more (They are very impressive condition)

My main question for all the paperwork is, where is the hull#/serial number supposed to be? I looked all of the boat over and didnt see it. Only thing I saw was on the very back of both hulls was the same serial number (it's the same on the manufacturer statement of origin as well), but it seems to be sketched in with a thin blade, doesnt look very official or anything. Is this typical for a late 70's model hobie?

Anyways, I cant wait for all the title and registration papers to come in, hopefully I can get out on the water and start. Also, I found someone that goes to UT and was commadore of the UT sailing club that may teach me how to sail :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those are the serial numbers you're looking for.

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1155

Enjoy your boat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

UT actually has at least a couple of old Hobie 16's - I doubt that they use those for the sailing school classes, but they have a good numer of Sunfishes and other small monohulls. UT's sailing club is located in Volente at the Highland Lake Marina - I see them almost every weekend.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I just remembered to look for my title...
the document for the Hobie is actually called a Title (looks like a titel for a car). The document for the trailer uses that term Manufacturer state of origin - I remember that when I registered the trailer the DMV had a rule for trailers not exceding a certain weight limit, not having to issue a title.
Patrick