Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frequent removal of mast
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I am considering to buy a Hobie 16 but I am troubled by the fact that I am nowhere near a marina and in order to transport and store the Hobie I would have to remove the mast on a very freequent basis. Please advise if this is something feasible or will it be toooo much hassle to handle ?

Thanks
Vago

Post subject: H 16 mast
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With practice, and a buddy, you can be on the water within 20 minutes of arriving at the Marina. Lots of threads on the Forum about how to do this. Two major probelms - stay away from power lines, and use the mast link, the small machined piece of stainless steel that becomes the fulcrum as you raise the mast.

Most of us keep the shrouds connected, and when we are ready to raise, pin the foot of the mast (using the link,) and once up, attach the forestay.

If you tilt the tongue of the trailer down, you can even raise the mast yourself and leave it 'leaning forward' by itself, which means that you can then walk around and put the bridle/forestay together. Much safe and better the first ten or fifteen times if you can get help, and if you give them clear instructions.

At our club, we usually have two people lifting the mast, one puller (pulling on the halyard with an extention rope,) and two hikers who hold onto the hiking lines to prevent a sideways fall of the mast.

Don't forget the teflon chip.

Good winds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Do not worry about the mast stepping - the mast looks more intimidating than it is. Search the forum there are actually safe procedures for stepping the mast alone - I use those most of the time. There is also equipment available that makes it easier on the back.
Hmmm, I have never managed to step in 20 min - but I do not like to keep the shrouds, trapwires and forestay attached. It takes me about twice the time.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

With some practice and the proper systems in place the H16 can be fully rigged solo and go from the trailer to the water in 15-20 min. The hardest part for me was finding parking near the boat launch.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you all for the advise. Will go ahead with the purchase and search for the tips you mention starting with this site.
Thanks again and happy sailing. :D