Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Having just finished my second summer of H16 lake sailing(circles around the monohulls!)here in Oregon..I'm eager to get thru winter already!

I hated fighting the hard-to-release old-style all-in-one jib car /cam cleat system w/ the pull up traveler release all summer.

Can someone "sell" me on which JIB TRAVELER TRIM KITS system is the best to upgrade on my '80 H16?
Hobies #1071 swivel cleat system (cat. pg.24 ) or ...
Murrays #01-3120 jib sheet & traveler control upgrade(cat. pg 22)

Advice on specs for proper jib sheets appreciated as well!
(Mr Knucklehead was using mainsheet diameter sheets on the jib!)

Thanks.

TimB :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go with the Hobie stuff. The Murray's has the jam cleat on the traveler and it will eventually bend the track. Add the lance cleats to set the car position. I had very good luck with the Trentec cars. 5/16 line should be okay. Just make sure it runs freely through the blocks, cleats and fairleads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AND, take a look at http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3863 for a good set up. John Eaton linked to my drawing on catsailor.com.

Post subject: jib trim set up
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks (Is it Mike?)
You are a great help..esp as i have to figure out stuff on my own out here in the woods via videos, catalogs and internet, etc.
Yeah, I got to crew on a H16 w/ a similar set up you propose. Having the swivel cam cleat on cross bar near mast gave a much much better geometry for crew or helmsman to more easily and quickly sheet in/out, cleat and uncleat from anywhere on tramp..and having the capability to move and set the jib traveler remotely, easily and frequently can make a huge difference.

RE "the Murrays has the jam cleat" Don't you mean "cam cleat"
and yeah..good point..why put a new fancy upgraded swivel cam cleat on that darn track again to try and take all that torque?

OK..now to really push my luck w/ your patience..(cause i am a really confused newbie)
the Hobie 1071 Swivel cleat system top/right on pg 24 doesnt quite "jive" with your terrific schematic drawing..
1)altho i see why one would need to add the lance cleats to set the car position.How was the Hobie set-up proposing to hold the car at various positions on the track like your lance cleats?
2)Hobie drawing shows jib traveler car block w/o any jib sheet cleating capability?!
3)the drawing you provided me proposes control lines ending at shroud adjusters?vs Hobie system in one loop like jib sheets?
4)you propose the Harken 241 swivel base cam cleat mounted near mast
for controling the jib sheets.. but Hobie system uses a similarly placed swivel base cam cleat for the traveler control lines

In summation..i now have too many questions to order Hobies kit and ...
am hoping you might spec out the drawing including jib sheet length and exact pad eye (to handle 2 control lines and the bungee)

Thanks for your kind(& patience) consideration

Tim B

Post subject: Re: jib trim set up
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

timb wrote:
Thanks (Is it Mike?)
It is.
Quote:
Don't you mean "cam cleat"?
Busted! I did.
Quote:
How was the Hobie set-up proposing to hold the car at various positions on the track like your lance cleats?
I can only guess that they’re still using the pins in the traveler car. That means that the crew will still have to manually move the car. Guessing again, I believe the line on the car leading to port is really a bungee.
Quote:
Hobie drawing shows jib traveler car block w/o any jib sheet cleating capability?!
It sure does. Matt Miller may want to revisit and update the drawing.
Quote:
the drawing you provided me proposes control lines ending at shroud adjusters?vs Hobie system in one loop like jib sheets?
Yup. Less crap on the tramp for the crew to get tangled up in.
Quote:
you propose the Harken 241 swivel base cam cleat mounted near mast for controling the jib sheets.. but Hobie system uses a similarly placed swivel base cam cleat for the traveler control lines
Yup again. The Harken CAM cleat is overkill. I used the lance cleats for 20 years with no problems or failures.
Quote:
am hoping you might spec out the drawing including jib sheet length and exact pad eye (to handle 2 control lines and the bungee)
I used the stock length jib sheet. The pad eye had a half inch space between legs. Mount it low on the mast base.

I’d post some pictures but I donated my boat to the Boy Sprouts when I moved to Maui. They got a hell of a deal!!
Quote:
Thanks for your kind(& patience) consideration

Tim B
No problem. We’re all here to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Cap't Mike.

Wow..i think you are "right on" about everything ..except lance cleats for controling the jib sheets- cause-as a eager-beaver newbie i'm still dumb enough to overspend and get the overkill full-on swivel cam cleat ,

(I was surprised that there weren't more old posts about this issue esp since i saw how effective it is to have full (and easy remote)control capabilities over the jib at all points of sail.. esp in a race)

Your thoughtful and thorough responses will get the proper respect they deserve by being printed out and used as "ammo" to make sure the poor slobs taking my order(s) get it right! :)

Now..Matt Miller are u out there? is he or me missing something here before i commit??

Thanks again Mike from Maui(hope it was only a tea cup or two u lost..)

Tim B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

timb wrote:
Thanks Cap't Mike.

Wow..i think you are "right on" about everything ..except lance cleats for controling the jib sheets- cause-as a eager-beaver newbie i'm still dumb enough to overspend and get the overkill full-on swivel cam cleat ,
The only problem with using a swivel cam cleat to adjust the car location is you'll now have four of them arrayed across the front crossbar. I really recommend using lance cleats but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Quote:
Thanks again Mike from Maui(hope it was only a tea cup or two u lost..)
Other than a 30 second E-ticket ride and the dog thinking the uber kitty had finally decided to play some catch-up, we came through without a scratch.