Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New 16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Totally stoked! Just paid $7500 for a 2012 16 that was purchased new in the spring of 13 it has only been sailed 7 times with a brand new trailer! Few scratches but a great upgrade from my 83 :D One question I have is are the rudders properly set up from the dealer or should I plan on some adjusting. The prior owner would not have done any adjustments. I keep looking for some hidden major problem, but so far nothing.

Post subject: Re: New 16
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are going to LOVE it!

See ya at the Point for Points regatta on Clinton Lake next spring :P

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ron probably at Storm Lake, unfortunately both your regattas fall after a holiday week which doesn't work well with my job. I'm looking forward to some more racing!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

play wrote:
Ron probably at Storm Lake, unfortunately both your regattas fall after a holiday week which doesn't work well with my job. I'm looking forward to some more racing!!

Heck.... No problems triple stacking on my trailer, and we have plenty of room in the van. Just load it up and head down Thursday night and ride with us to Nationals.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Most rudder systems need to be tuned when you get them from the dealer. There are a number of adjustments that need to be addressed, and you will really only get the boat finely tuned to your liking after several sails and several adjustments.

Cam tightness - The tensioning Delrin screw inside the ruder casting needs to be adjusted to provide the correct amount of pressure to make sure that the rudder stays lock down, but the rudder should kick up with about 25 lbs of pressure applied..

Lower delrin screws - to help adjust rudder rake. There are various places to find reference to this on the internet and publications. I don't use a lot of mast rake, so it is not really ever an issue for me.

Cam plate - this basically helps keep the upper rudder casting to hold flush with the lower casting. There should be no gap when you are sailing. This is adjusted by moving the bolt on top of the upper rudder casting forward with the rudder locked down till it is fully under the cam.

Tiller Cross bar- to adjust the "toe" of the rudders relative to each other. Again guides for this can be found in various publications and documents on the internet.

Basic slop (shims, bushings etc..) - basically removing back and forth slop which will also cause wear on the cams and castings as well.

These are the basic components involved. Be prepared to adjust, try it , adjust etc.. till you get it "right" for you.

There are also other factors like mast rake and really how you sail that effect all this as well.

Another basic rule is you want some weather helm so the boat will round up when you let go of the tiller., but not too much so that it is hard to steer.

Here is a nice video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jfn8f9 ... AFsPGfgAb5

Also, give a google search and you will find a lot of helpful info out there. Matt Miller has a helpful overall tuning guide as well. Check the FAQ section for that. Good luck.

Johnny

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have 3 new H16's. None of the rudders had the rake set out of the box. The stop screws were backed out to the maximum (forward at the tip) setting. This allows the rudders to contact the casing and chip the epoxy.

Check everything as per the Hobie Manual and enjoy the boat!

-2013 H16 #1`13780
-2014 Getaway w/wings,spinnaker,& trapeze