Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 9:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY tiller extension
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My ancient stock tiller extension bent and broke when my boat flipped in a storm gust... which is another story, but now I'm looking to replace with a simple (i.e. cheap) and effective tiller extension. I'm thinking of just ordering some 6061-T6 AL tubing, 0.75" O.D., and .065" wall to keep the weight down. I'd like to even go down to .035" wall, but I'm not sure if that would withstand typical abuse. I could make it any fixed length, but I'm thinking probably 7 feet (84") is the sweet spot. Has anyone else tried this with similar materials, or have any design advice?

Thanks in advance!

2012 H16 (with 2018 Cayman Main) #115139

Post subject: Re: DIY tiller extension
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brad,

I have a telescoping aluminum hiking stick.

Normally, I only extend it to about 62" and lay it across the carpeted side rail on my aft side while sailing (this allows me better control than holding the tiller up higher). If I were to extend it to seven feet, the handle end would stick out so far that it could easily be hit by a wave and get knocked out of my hand.

If you have a fixed length tiller it also will be harder to trailer your boat with the tiller attached since it will stick out the side too much.

Hobie has a 42" - 96" three section aluminum stick for $68 and Murrays also has a 50" - 95" two section aluminum stick for $61.

Both the Hobie and Murrays tillers already come with the yoke connection (which is about $8 if you don't already have one).

I have had both of them and currently am using the one from Murrays.

I believe the Hobie and Murrays aluminum sticks are made from Davis Instruments (Team) telescoping (2 or 3 section) boat hooks which you can get for about $30 in case you want to make your own telescoping hiking stick.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good points Tim, maybe I'm not saving that much with making my own. Material is about $20 and shipping is about the same. I was going with the 84" length for trapeze use. You're right, I would definitely have to remove it for trailering, which I had planned on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A non-adjustable stick that long is really going to be a hassle when going as far forward on the tramp as needed to sail well in some conditions. You'll have a lot of interference from the shrouds and trap lines. My personal preference is against the adjustable ones...I use the solid fiberglass one, but it isn't nearly as long as you're suggesting.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

rattle 'n hum wrote:
I use the solid fiberglass one, but it isn't nearly as long as you're suggesting.
I thought the stock Hobie fiberglass one is 84"?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bmdumr wrote:
I was going with the 84" length for trapeze use.

Rethink that. 84" is minimally OK for the trap if you're not too tall, or you don't trap very low, or you don't want to go forward. Otherwise you will want to go into the 90s and a solid stick becomes a PITA.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At 6'5" tall the stock stick at 84" (?) is about 6-8 " to short for me.

After making the switch back to a solid stick I don't think I could go back to an adjustable one. It just doesn't make sense to me to just have one more thing to have moving around while on the wire. I also really like to be able to jam the stick between my toes to free up both hands for a second if need be.

I think the math worked out to around 100 bucks a stick to make 90" carbon fiber ones, but I have yet to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your boat deserves and so do you a new hobie hot stick
former Hobie Admiral Gary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Go to Lowes and buy an extendable paint or mop handle, some even have a hole at the end for the quick pin. I know of two low budget sailors that use them, around $10-12

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

What I have done is to use 1-1/4" PVC pipe and 1" PVC pipe - they fit inside each other nice and snug.
Drilled holes through both the tubes and run a small rope through them to keep them from pulling apart - the length of the rope will dictate how far the tubes pull apart. (Have to flatten and cut to shape the end of the inner pipe so there is room for the rope) Heat up the end of the outer tube and flatten it so it can be attached to the tiller crossbar....I also taped the grip band of an other tennis raquet on the end of the inner tube for better grip.
(there is enough friction between the tubes to work just fine when you are pushing on the tiller to tack)

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone converted to a wave style tiller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i have a bambo tiller extension on mine cost:free

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just use a 3/4 inch pvc pipe extending the solid fiberglass tiller about 2 more feet. With a carved wooden plug in the end it floats nicely behind the boat when tacking and fits well in the hand. Fits snugly on the fiberglass tiller and used epoxy to make sure it stays on. 4 years + and no worries.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some of the tiller extensions are ok i guess. If i did not have one a pine tree limb would probably work. I went thru many of the stock hobie extensions including the alumnium tubes and later the fiberglass poles. Do these work well yes they do as will a piece of water pipe or a alumnium paint stick from Lowes.
Over the years the Alumnium extensions were great but one fall on them and the were history. The Fiberglass tiller extension are dependable super strong work on the trap
and the best thing they last I have one that is over 25 years and still works like new and has seen some good abuse.
Hobie factory parts usually are the way to go
Free opinion
Former Hobie Admiral Gary Proud owner of two fiberglass tillers one on the mighty hobie 21 se and also one on the greatest hobie ever the 16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here in the UK everything for Hobie is very expensive, limited in availability and shipping from the US often costs more than the item purchase price.
This means I generally fab items and / or print them on my 3d printer.

I wanted an extendable hiking stick so started to look for alternatives.
In the end I came across an NGT telescopic fibreglass landing fishing net handle for the princely some of £9.95, purchased two, one for a backup at that price crazy not to.
Then fabed the yoke and drilled through metal end of landing net so it could take a clevis pin.

The length can be adjusted by pulling or pushing in or out then twisting end to set or unset.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NGT-Landing-Net-Handle-2m-Telescopic-2-Section-Carp-Match-Pole-Fishing-Tackle-/231291577868?hash=item35da0d660c:g:CdMAAOSwxCxT0sFN

Works a treat for my sailing style (recreational non racing)

Cheers,
SRG

Hobie 16 1996 (my latest)