Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Greetings!

I purchased a used 1980 I think Hobie 16 two weeks ago and noticed on Sunday that there is a chunk of fiberglass missing right in the back of the hull where the pin goes in to hold the rudder.

Is this a common problem and do I really need to fix it. Looks like it just holds the pin in at the top.

I can work up a bit of fiberglass and redrill the hole. Anyway to match the old yellow gel coat?

Wonder if there are any premade fixes like a metal strap?

TIA

Matthew
Bradenton Florida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matthew,

I wouldn't worry about this piece missing. It is not structurally necessary, nor does it actually support any of the rudder system. Mine have been missing for several decades (see attached photo).

I would recommend smoothing it and then coating it to protect the exposed fiberglass cloth.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it's in the hull lip, it's not structural and nothing to worry about. If you do decide to try it, you'd want to match the gel coat using yellow pigment, probably with brown, black and white. Color matching is extremely difficult, but you should be able to get it generally the same color.

'79 H18 standard 'Rocketman II' sail #14921 RIP
'78 H18 (unnamed) sail #14921
'08 H16 sail #114312
'97 H21SC sail #238

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Tim;

That is exactly it! So I will not worry about it. Seems someone has tried to repair it before or a least smooth some of the edges.

I bought the Hobie just to have something to sail out my back door with - Palma Sola Harbour condo. I have a MacGregor 26M and a Precision 2 but sometimes I just want to have a little fun in the Bay without all the hassles of getting the other boats ready.

Off topic but I have two draw bridges that keep me from getting into Tampa Bay and Sarasota Bay and the Gulf. I take my regular sailboats thru them and have the bridge tender raise the bridges.

Are you allowed to take a non powered sailboat under these bridges?? I have a hand held radio that I could call the bridge tenders.

Do you take your Hobie out into the Gulf?

Thank you for your post.

Matthew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matthew,

I just moved this spring from Panama City Beach, FL to Clearwater and I am still exploring the area since there are so many places to sail. Currently I am keeping my H16 in Ozona/Palm Harbor and sail off the Dunedin Causeway (near Honeymoon Island).

I have so far sailed under the Gulf to Bay (60) bridge over the ICW and the Gulf Blvd (Sand Key) bridge over the Clearwater Pass with no problem, but have not tried sailing thru a draw bridge.

With regards to the Gulf, I have so far sailed out into the Gulf from the ICW thru both the Clearwater Pass and Hurricane Pass (Dunedin). I normally do not like to sail in the Gulf unless there is an on-shore breeze (just in case something goes wrong).

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Thu May 13, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought the Hobie from a guy in Clearwater and he did the same exploring as you have.

I would like to also but need to call the bridge tenders to see what is allowed.

I guess the worst thing would be the wind stops.... and your stuck out in the gulf!

Guess I am spoiled with the my other sailboats that have motors. My Macgregor has a 50hp and can pull a skier!

Thanks for your reply.

Matthew