Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm hoping some one can explain to me the logic behind the putting the fork for the mainsail nuggets at the very top of the mast! I am constantly fighting the sail to get it up high enough to engage the second nugget. I always seem to be about 2" short of the fork. Why did they decide against having it at eye level or even just above the mast tang so it's easier to manipulate?

I'm open to any tips or tricks to pull it that final few inches to get it locked in properly?

Thanks!

H16 (1985)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Short load-bearing distance... less compression load on the mast.

Have a look at the sail hoisting FAQ.

Feeding the sail into the slot at the bottom of the mast is key.'

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=371

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm not sure I buy that. If the they put the fork near the bottom, it seems like the compression would be the same, but spread over a longer section of the mast.

I'm mostly commenting because I'd never thought of that as an option and it seems like a really good idea. Getting the sail up is the biggest part of the battle, but getting the peanut in the fork can be a challenge too, especially if you already removed the mast stepping pin. Sure it'd have to go around the side or something like that to avoid screwing up the jib, but still... good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the fork was near the bottom of the mast:
You wouldn't want the main halyard coming down the front of the mast since the jib would get hung-up on it.

If you brought the halyard down the side of the mast then a 6:1 downhaul would be putting a lot of side ways bend in the mast also.

It would also defeat the whole reason that newer H16s have comptips above the mast tang since there would be a metal wire from top to bottom.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Leighsif wrote:
I'm hoping some one can explain to me the logic behind the putting the fork for the mainsail nuggets at the very top of the mast! I am constantly fighting the sail to get it up high enough to engage the second nugget. I always seem to be about 2" short of the fork. Why did they decide against having it at eye level or even just above the mast tang so it's easier to manipulate?

I'm open to any tips or tricks to pull it that final few inches to get it locked in properly?

Thanks!

H16 (1985)

Leave the gooseneck out of the mast, lock the halyard, then put the gooseneck in the track. I had always done this and never had a problem getting the halyard on the hook. Just yesterday, for some reason, I put the gooseneck in first and had a terrible time getting the sail all the way up far enough. May be just coincidence, but maybe give it a try?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:42 pm 
Site Admin

Try to follow the FAQ directions to a "T". I see guys at Hobie 16 Worlds events struggle, so you are not alone... the technique is all you need.

You can also have a look at the ancient rigging video I did on the 16:

[/quote]

Hoisting the main is at 7:32

I have been sailing 16s since 1976 and working for a dealer and then the factory for 40+ years... it works.

Having the fork low does cause double the mast compression bend (strung like a bow). It's 2:1 rather than 1:1 as designed.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SlowSL wrote:
Leighsif wrote:

Thanks!

H16 (1985)

Leave the gooseneck out of the mast, lock the halyard, then put the gooseneck in the track. I had always done this and never had a problem getting the halyard on the hook. Just yesterday, for some reason, I put the gooseneck in first and had a terrible time getting the sail all the way up far enough. May be just coincidence, but maybe give it a try?

Hmmm, that’s a great idea, I’m gonna have to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt, that video may be “ancient”, but it contains a wealth of great instruction and has helped me sort some things out numerous times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jwallis wrote:
I'm not sure I buy that. If the they put the fork near the bottom, it seems like the compression would be the same, but spread over a longer section of the mast.

If the fork were at the bottom of the mast, the halyard would effectively exert twice as much compressive load on the mast (it would be 2:1), so the mast would bend more everytime you pulled the downhaul or mainsheet. You would have a very hard time getting enough luff or leech tension, especially in high wind. This would be exacerbated by the fact that the 20-something foot long extra length of halyard would stretch, so the sail would not remain at the very top of the mast. If you want to prove that to yourself, see what happens if you just tie off the halyard to the cleat without engaging the fork.

And of course, last but not least, bringing a conductive wire down to the mast base would negate the safety feature of the comptip.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:25 am 
Site Admin

HobieMarty wrote:
Matt, that video may be “ancient”, but it contains a wealth of great instruction and has helped me sort some things out numerous times.

:)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your peanuts should be in the pocket of your beer cooler. When you raise the main that last little bit (~8:30 in the ancient vid), you and your nuggets should be pulling from fairly far forward (toward the bows). Then keep pulling down (making sure the main doesn't slip back down any) as you walk toward the mast to engage the halyard in the hook. This helps ensure that the second nicopress fitting doesn't get hung up in the masthead sheave and halt your progress.....a common issue on older boats with worn parts.