Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought a 12 lb navy anchor (and 20 ft of chain) I'd like to carry with me while sailing.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether/how to mount it on the boat? Maybe wrapped around the dolphin striker or something?

I'm also looking for ideas on how to transport it. Perhaps I could chain it to the trailer and then bunjee around it.

Finally, where on the boat to connect the anchor to when the boat is anchored (this would only be for an hour or so to swim/picnic/etc.)?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lookup Joyrider TV, and see what Joe Bennett does when they moor their Catamarans.
(They only moor them during the day, not overnight).

Likely, you will need to set up a bridle with carabiners or similar.

Store it in a bag on the tramp?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A bridle is needed for a catamaran to ride properly at anchor. Having said that, I'm sure I remember seeing the cats being moored by Joe for short term, good weather mooring by simply hooking a carabineer to the forestay. This would be a poor attachment in rough waters. Also, the dolphin striker is too important on a 16 to chance damaging it with anchoring or any forces connected with use or storage of an anchor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Fortress - Guardian G-5 (2.5 lbs) with a chain rode and bridle that I clip to both of the bow bridle tangs.
Even if I stand on the anchor and bury it in the sand under water, I find that the H16 still tries to sail over top of the anchor.

If it is an on shore or off shore wind, then I can pull the bows or transoms up onto the beach without the need of an anchor and the boat is fine with minimal wear on the bottoms of the hulls.

If the wind direction is closer to being parallel to the shoreline, I don't like to park the boat parallel to the shore (one hull in the water and the other hull on the sand), since there is a lot of broadside wave action and more wear of the gelcoat on the bottom of the hulls when turning the boat to launch or park.

Parallel to the shore parking or rough bottoms are when anchoring would be helpful if the H16 would stay in place (particularly while moving the boat trailer). Of course if you had a second person, they could act as your "anchor" instead.

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow! 12 lbs is way over kill. A coffee can filled with concrete would do the job just fine. Why are you anchoring a "beach" cat out in the water? Are all the banks sharp rocks or something? Just curious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Agreed. I have a 12 lb Danforth to hold my 22' pocket cruiser.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mdgann wrote:
Wow! 12 lbs is way over kill. A coffee can filled with concrete would do the job just fine. Why are you anchoring a "beach" cat out in the water? Are all the banks sharp rocks or something? Just curious.

Our shore in Maine is all boulders. granite everywhere, no sand anywhere.

The anchor holds the boat pretty well with sails still up (but with the jib clue unshackled and the block&tackle unshackled). We wanted an anchor that would hold the boat without dropping the mainsail. Also it is hard to find a lightweight "navy" type anchor. Navy type anchor was recommended to us for boulder-ey bottoms.

Sometimes we want to camp ashore where there is no place to bring the boat in. I did some testing and the boat seems to hold as long as there is a good length of chain, and then another 50 feet of rope or so. The tension on the anchor in that setup appears to pull the teeth down into the floor.