Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you tell what it is?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So I've done the thing thats not recommended and brought a boat sight unseen. I pick it up next week.

I'm a Hobie newbie and I'm super kid before xmas excited :roll:

I cant play with the boat but I'm making loads of plans.

The history of the sale is a bit interesting. The boat is on a naval base here in Auckland and has been sold by someone who doesn't know anything about it or sailing (despite being in the Navy!!)

All I've got is the information in the auction advert.

So I'm playing a game of spot the parts, fancy playing along?

Here are a load of images

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

The boat is in Auckland NZ. I don't have the number as yet.

What year do you think the boat is?

Hot flash colours are 1983. I can't find the pink blue colours anywhere yet

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2015 ... -of-color/

What rudders do you think they are? I'm hoping they are black early EPO's 8)

Can I see a Harken H194 block in image 3? How likely is it to have a 6:1 mainsheet?

I've obviously been reading the whole internet :lol: but I'm aware how little I know :roll:

This guessing game is going to last all week. I pick the boat up on saturday

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Definitely a Hobie 16.
Probably EPO rudders judging by the fact that they’re black with what looks like the silver “EPO” sticker at the top.
I believe the orange and purple sails were from a Worlds regatta in the early 90’s. Probably picked up second hand as an upgrade to the older orange, white, and yellow sails which I would assume were the originals.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This cat and trailer are in excellent shape. Good find!!!
Assuming all the parts are original to this catamaran:

1/ The mast is not a comp tip (this has the single pulley on top) so that would
be pre-1984.
2/ That is a Harken H194, the triple lower block, so it is 6:1
I also see the upper triple block in there too.
3/ The one sail (#69) is from 1983.
4/ I don't see the tiller. Ask for it when you pick it up.

So my guess is a 1983.
The ID serial number on the transom will verify. (last two numbers of the serial number is the year)
Check both hulls. They should have the same ID number. If not, one of the hulls has been replaced.
Good Luck.

Greg 1984 H16

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

gford wrote:
1/ The mast is not a comp tip (this has the single pulley on top) so that would be pre-1984.

The boat is in Auckland, so is probably an Australian boat. If so, it would not have a comptip, which is exclusive to US boats.

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 86=== number is what I had on my '85 boat. The '85 didn't have a comptip mast. It was offered to me as a modification afterwards. I don't recognize the colors. My '85 also had a single pulley on the mast.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ian,

Welcome to the Hobie community!

Since this is an Australasia boat, I'd go to http://www.catsailor.net/

On their Hobie forum, no doubt someone can get you close to the exact year based on the hull decals

Cheers!

Sheet In, Max Out

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks like a great find! Have you found the Hobie 16 assembly manual, etc, on this forum?
So, are you watching the Cup races live and in person? I'm very jealous!

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the info folks. Much appreciated.

My apologies for the tardiness of my reply, I’ve been out of phone reception all week.

Exciting day to day, I’m picking it up at 9am 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Definitely a Hobie 16.
Probably EPO rudders judging by the fact that they’re black with what looks like the silver “EPO” sticker at the top.
I believe the orange and purple sails were from a Worlds regatta in the early 90’s. Probably picked up second hand as an upgrade to the older orange, white, and yellow sails which I would assume were the originals.

sm

I’m hoping I’m seeing that sticker too. I can’t find the orange and purple sails anywhere. It will be interesting to see which set are in the best condition.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

gford wrote:
This cat and trailer are in excellent shape. Good find!!!
Assuming all the parts are original to this catamaran:

1/ The mast is not a comp tip (this has the single pulley on top) so that would
be pre-1984.
2/ That is a Harken H194, the triple lower block, so it is 6:1
I also see the upper triple block in there too.
3/ The one sail (#69) is from 1983.
4/ I don't see the tiller. Ask for it when you pick it up.

So my guess is a 1983.
The ID serial number on the transom will verify. (last two numbers of the serial number is the year)
Check both hulls. They should have the same ID number. If not, one of the hulls has been replaced.
Good Luck.

Greg 1984 H16

Hmmmmm tiller extension!! Good spot. Thanks. I’ll definitely keep my eye open for that this morning. That would be a pain if it wasn’t there.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hrtsailor wrote:
The 86=== number is what I had on my '85 boat. The '85 didn't have a comptip mast. It was offered to me as a modification afterwards. I don't recognize the colors. My '85 also had a single pulley on the mast.

When you say single pulley are you talking about the job halyard?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

flatlander wrote:
Ian,

Welcome to the Hobie community!

Since this is an Australasia boat, I'd go to http://www.catsailor.net/

On their Hobie forum, no doubt someone can get you close to the exact year based on the hull decals

Cheers!

Awesome, thank you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dorienc wrote:
Looks like a great find! Have you found the Hobie 16 assembly manual, etc, on this forum?
So, are you watching the Cup races live and in person? I'm very jealous!

Yes, I’ve found a few manuals. I think I’ve found the one that dates from the 1983 boats too

I haven’t been watching the Cup from the shore but have been down at the Viaduct a couple of times and seen the putting the boats on the water and following the coverage closely. I met some of TJ e American Maginc team families at a market last week plus spoke to one of the tv crew last night. It’s super cool to be here amongst it all.

Pretty gutted Ineos went down without more of a fight (I’m a Brit) :cry:

I’m wondering if there might be space for a small Cat I’m amongst the spectator boats once the racing starts up again next weekend :?:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you say single pulley are you talking about the job halyard?

No. The single pulley refers to the very top of the mast and is for the main halyard. The comptip mast used a double pulley at the top of the mast. The comptip came out in late '85 and was offered as an update. I declined. An interesting note came with the offer. It said that the comptip reduced dangers from overhead wires but decreased the amount of lightning protection.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked up the boat today, pretty pleased to be honest. Excited to get it on the water.

As per the pictures it's been completely dismantled and this makes it an interesting challenge to work out what everything is. I think I'm pretty much there though, now just need to figure out how to fit it all together.

The hulls seem pretty good and solid, no soft spots but a few repairs have been done. A circular hatch has been installed in front of the starboard front pylon. I think it was to allow access for a repair that's been done just in front of the pylon on the inward side of the hull. Through that hatch, I can see there is a bit of water in there which I'm guessing has leaked in through the hatch. It doesn't smell in there.

There has been a biggish repair done on the port hull by where the trailer wheel is. It hasn't been done great but not super bad either, just hasn't been sanded back properly flat.

I can see a very indistinct number on the back of the port hull but nothing on the back of the starboard one. I think maybe some work has been done back there that has obliterated them.

They are a bit dusty and need a good clean and polish I think.

The black EPO rudders are looking pretty tired, glass is showing all over the place. Refurbishing them will be a key task.

I've identified all the shrouds, trapeze wires etc. Pretty sure I've got everything I need to sail apart from the tiller extension, that's missing which is a pain.

I'm going to renew all the halyards and sheets. The ropes that are there all feel old and brittle through UV damage. New ropes will make a big difference.

Of the 2 sets of sails the white ones are very tired with a tear in the leach of the main and loads of wear around the tack of the jib, also the wire that runs up the luff of the jib is a bit mangled. The pink/blue/orange sails are in pretty good nick with no damage.

The trailer is really tidy with no rust at all. The wooden sail box is completely rotten but that's an easy job to build another. The tires are cracked due to age/sun so will need replacing before I get its Warrant of Fitness (WOF) sorted.

These cats are quite wide on the trailer I noticed today when moving it. Definitely need to pay attention to the mirrors.

The various blocks and pulleys are all in functional condition but there are a few very rusty bolts here and there I'd like to sort out.

Today I cleaned and fitted the tramp. It looks great and is super comfy to lie on 8) I can see a white vinyl tramp will definitely require shades! Only one pocket which is a shame but I'm planning stash the righting line by threading it into the centre tramp lacing.

I also brought a lock for the tow hitch.

Tomorrow I've got a work job in the morning. In the afternoon I'd like to sort all the shrouds and get the mast stepped for the first time. I need to learn about mast rake and how to both 'measure' it and adjust it so I can get the boat set up efficiently.

I'll also try and get some of the rope I need to replace key sheets and halyards so I can start setting those up properly