Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jib wire snapped
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently purchased an 84 model 16 and took her out for the first time yesterday. New to this boat and pretty new to sailing in general.

We successfully sailed a few broad and beam reaches. We came around on a tack and started sailing on a close hauled course. The main sheet was pretty tight in, and after 10 seconds or so under tension the wire in the jib sheet snapped.

Was this the fault of an old sail / wire? Or was this a result of something I did? Would like to understand if it was my fault to avoid the same thing in the future.

Is the repair to the jib something that can be done on my own, or will it need to be professionally repaired?

Also, is it possible to sail the boat using just the main after this happens? We lost almost all of our rig tension to the point where I did not feel comfortable sailing back under just the main (luckily we were close to our launch point).

Post subject: Re: Jib wire snapped
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Very unusual for a Jib luff wire to fail. You would need to get some forestay tension to really be able to sail on main only.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As mmiller says, in order to sail without the jib, you'll need something to hold the mast forward at least a little to keep it from flopping madly and possibly coming out of the cup if you capsize. I'd attach the jib halyard to the bridle, take some slop out of the mast (no need to be super tight), wrap it around itself a few times, and tie it off/stow it there. Be aware that the boat will not have it's usual balance without the jib....it will tend to head up more as you sheet the main, go in irons easier, and be more difficult to tack.

Where did the luff wire fail.....at a swage or thimble? I've never seen one fail, but this is where shrouds normally do (from corrosion that's not necessarily obvious). What I have seen is strands of the luff wire breaking in/near the thimble that attaches to the bridle. That needs to be a nice clean connection with appropriate bow shackle. Make sure the wire isn't jammed/kinked up against the adjuster or another pin (for forestay, bridle vane, or whatever).

Repairing a sail at the seams with proper technique/equipment probably isn't a big deal, but replacing/repairing part of a (or a whole) panel would be more difficult. Also, sourcing and properly installing a new luff wire (not a stand-alone part), will be problematic. I expect that effort and cash would be better spent toward another good used jib.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Any wire on the boat can fail, particularly ones that are more than 35 years old. I would say it outlived its life expectancy. I’d recommend checking and/or replacing all standing rigging on your boat.

Another thing to consider when sailing without the jib is that the boat will be significantly harder to tack. It will also have more weather helm.

sm