Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello, I have a 1976 H16. Original sails are white / blue/ yellow #11263. It was pseudo resurrected cosmetically by myself when I was in highschool and I basically breathed enough life into it to enjoy it, but nothing was super long term or professional.

I am looking to keep this boat if possible but I want to breathe some new life into it, and do it the right way.

The main questions I have with the boat as I remember sailing it a while ago are:

1. My battens on my jib seemed to always get stuck on the mast and the sail would have a hard time transitioning side to side unless a huge gust hit. Is it typical to need to cut down the batten lengths? (yes, the jib halyard was pulled tight and secured and the battens had drawn the sail tight. They just seemed to stick out too far and were getting caught on the mast)

2. The mast is solid aluminum with the single pulley. It is very heavy and I'm planning on a DIY mast stepper situation / Gin pole in the near future. I've seen the approach with a trailer winch (electric and man powered) but my mast support is a single post style on an older trailer and I feel like I would rip the post right off the mount unless I added a support brace.) Is there a newer way to do it? Would a comp tip mast be better in terms of weight?

3. My hulls are not smooth. There was a soft spot that was repaired at some point and epoxy boogered up some of the hull. We also used marine paint overtop of the previous dried out flaking surface after a light sanding job... I wish my 17 year old self had had more patience but I know it's not super clean. The paint is starting to lift up now and I want to resurface the hulls. I have a large air compressor and high volume low pressure paint spraying system. Would it be reasonable procedure and cost to try and sand down the existing paint and reapply a new layer of gel coat?

4. My boom seems to be really low. Even when our main sail is pulled to the top of the mast, the boom seems to hang lower than it should - almost to the bottom of the downhaul slot. My blocks max out and become almost useless. Do sails stretch?! Is it possible our mainsail (hobie brand), is stretched or fatigued? It's really annoying that it's so low and makes tacking and changing position really difficult. Now that my wife and I have kids, I want to keep the boom as high as possible to reduce hazards or chances of injury as they learn.

5. Wings. I really like the Hobie Getaway with the wings for slower cruising. Are there any structurally sound wing designs currently available for the H16? I would love for my wife and I to be able to sit outboard while our kids lay on the trampoline when out for an afternoon of easy sailing. I am an engineer and feel confident I would be able to design and build something legitimate with a welded frame, but I didn't want to force something that may already exist. Thanks in advance.

6. Side rail material - Is there a proven neoprene pattern or grip material that you would recommend for the 2 side rails of the trampoline? When I was in highschool, I used liquid nails and some indoor outdoor carpet. It did well for a few years, but after sitting high and dry, the carpet is disintegrating even when stored under a tarp. Any material recommendations that hold up in fresh and saltwater (with care of course) which have good grip for when on the trapeze?

7. General Replacement/ Wear Items: Are there any existing kits which would include brand new (high quality) lines for a replacement for everything??? Main and jib lines, righting lines, stays, trapezes, etc.? Or do they all need to be purchased a la carte? My rudders seem good, but my extension pole for the tiller is shot. Looking at a grocery list of items right now and was wondering if there was an all-in-one for at least the rigging?

Looking forward to hearing back from you all- it's been 8 years since the last time our hobie was out on the water. Looking forward to getting back into the trapeze!

Richard

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Look up Joe Bennett on you tube. Lots of very good videos to learn from Joyridertv

I've used Murrays in California, has lots of quality parts and customer support is great with answering questions. Mast step links for H16 are available and work great for stepping mast simply. All rigging is also available from them. Check the lengths of your forestay and shroud lines. The new rigging may differ from older lengths. My shrouds were the same length, but forestay was approx. 1 and half inches shorter.

Battens always hit mast. Push them over by pushing on batten ends.

Your boom may be lower because the mast is raked too far back. Make sure jib haylard tensions rigging fully. The forestay will become very loose in the process. This is normal and why some will use a second 10 hole adjuster at the bridles and bungee it tight to keep it from hitting the jib. See joyridertv again for instructional videos. Very helpfull

I am in the final stages of restoring an '85 H16 as well. Just sailed her for the first time and making adjustments.