Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sails up while on rack
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I keep my boat on a rack with four corner tie downs when not in use. I hoist the sails while it's racked, as long as the wind allows. Once fully rigged, we release the tie downs and head out.

I'm wondering if keeping the sails up in between outings (2-4 hours; never overnight) while it's on the rack is a good idea. How do I leave the main and jib sheets and travelers? Do I disconnect the blocks from the boom? Or is it best to lower one or both sails while it's racked?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Generally better to lower the sails, at least the main. It only takes a minute or two. If leaving the sails up, I would fully disconnect all of the blocks from the sail/boom. I would only consider leaving both sails up if the boat is more or less pointed into the wind and you don’t expect the wind direction to change.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm wrote:
Generally better to lower the sails, at least the main. It only takes a minute or two. If leaving the sails up, I would fully disconnect all of the blocks from the sail/boom. I would only consider leaving both sails up if the boat is more or less pointed into the wind and you don’t expect the wind direction to change.

sm

Thanks for the reply! I think I will try to work on lowering the mainsail, though it is very difficult to lower. It rarely comes down by its own weight. I usually have to pull down, quite hard at times. I wet the sail rope before I hoist but is there a special lubricant I can use on the mast? Or is difficult lowering typical?

Also, can anyone post pictures of how they connect the following:
1. Mainsail lower block to main traveler
2. Jib tack to bridle adjuster
3. Jib clew to jibsheet blocks (I have a 1984 with jib sheet cars w/blocks…the tall ones)
The gentleman I learned to sail from always had me hoist and lower the jib. That was 35 years ago. I remember that he had a quick disconnect or snap shackle on the jib tack or clew; I can’t recall. I’d like to make the process easier and less prone to lost pins and I’m not sure how to connect everything using the snaps or disconnects.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

McLube sailcoat is a great all purpose lube on these boats. Liberally spraying the sail track.
Here's the Hobie16 support pages https://www.hobie.com/support/hobie-16/

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The stock connection for the H16 jib clew to the jib sheets is a small shackle, which connects the clew to the two small blocks.
I have adapted by adding a snap-shackle, as it is easy to 'quick release' when landing.
You may wish to use a system like that.

For the mainsail, I use what a lot of other H16 sailors use, a Quickpin at the top set of main blocks, which allows us to quickly detach the mainbloacks from the boom.
(it is a part you can buy from your local dealer).

Once main and jib are detached like that, the H16 is quite forgiving.

Happy sailing