Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How big are you?

The H14 is very weight sensitive. I’m a pretty large person (over 200 Lbs) and enjoy sailing my 14, but part of the enjoyment comes from the challenge of sailing the boat…. The hulls have so little volume that, in a moderate to strong breeze, the boat can literally flip over in any direction. I wouldn’t want to sail it with a second person in anything other than a light breeze because the hulls will be almost completely underwater. The flip side of this is that the 14 is relatively easy to bring back up from a capsize for an average size person.

The 14 can also be challenging to tack due to only having a mainsail and they don’t go upwind as well as a 16.

Honestly, it sounds like a Wave is what you’re looking for. They are easily handled by one person, similar to a 14, but they have a lot more bouyancy in the hulls, so a lot less likely to pitchpole or roll over backwards. They have enough floatation to carry a second person without submarining. The Wave isn’t quite as fast as the 14 (and a lot slower than a 16), but they can still be fun when the wind is up and are a good starter boat for getting into catamarans.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have sailed both and once owned a 14. faced with the choices you have presented, I would go with the 14. my 14 is fast, but only when I am sailing solo. the Wave can hold more passengers, but I find it slow (just my experience). I have sailed two Waves, both of which were rentals and may have had water or something on their hulls, but I didn't like them much.The 14 is noisy by itself.The 14 and Wave face fiberglass vs. plastic issues. I have flown a 14 solo with the Wanderer almost vertical. Make sure the fiberglass is in good shape.

I now own a 16 and it is much more fun because it goes fast even with two people.

I think the Turbo has a jib. My 14 didn't have a jib, but I remember wishing it did. I'm not sure there are any other differences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Agree with SRM that 14 can be really tippy with two people aboard. And while seemingly approachable in terms of size, power, and speed, it's one of the more challenging boats to sail in bigger wind because it doesn't have a lot of floatation.

If you're looking to just "toodle" about and aren't looking to push it in bigger winds, you *can* do a 14 but the Wave would do that even better without the anxiety that comes with keeping everyone in the right place in terms of weight balance. I had a big (240lbs) guy out with me on my 14 and it was a handful to keep weight balanced, indeed, not fun.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

14 is a pretty small boat. 2 people if they are both very small.
The 16 is overall a much better boat. Get a righting bag if you need the weight to right it. I sail with some guys under 160# that have righting bags, I've got one even though I'm at 200# because I sail a Getaway, somewhat heavier.
For big wind, either reef the sail (may need to add reef points if it's a newer sail) and/or trap out.

Too many canoes and kayaks