Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, a couple of easy ones...

1. I read that you should remove your rudders for trailering. I will be moving my boat around pretty often and hate the idea of removing and putting on my rudders every time (but not as much as buying new equipment!). Not to mention removing the rudders will leave my rudder arms unattached, and will have to remove them as well. Am I missing something here, or is this the approach the rest of you take?

2. In relation to the above question, I would like to install spacers on either side of the rudder, but the second one slips unless I remove the casting and do it horizonaly. Can you think of any reason I shouldn't silicone this spacers to my rudders? If I have to remove and install these things every time I sail, it would be helpful to not have to fumble with this every time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Get the 20 style tiller connectors if you don't have them already (they've come new on the boats for over 10 years now).

That way, the tiller crossbar comes off in about 10 seconds.

Pull the rudder pins (use a split ring instead of a cotter pin in the bottom).

Rudders are now free to be stored.

Two words on positioning the spacers - Scotch Tape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MBounds wrote:

Make sure that you DO put a ring or pin on the bottom. Some people insist they won't come out - but there are several sets of rudders at the bottom of the Columbia River that says they will.

MBounds wrote:

Four words: Double-Sided Scotch Tape.

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I trailer my boat for two 6 hour trips a year and leave the rudders on the boat.....never had a problem in over 10 years. I bunjee cord them down on the sides to the pylon. One of each side that is tight keeps them there. Not that it's that much work to take them off....just don't want to....enjoy! Happy sailing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Removing the rudders for travel is not a requirement. Generally only racers do this to help protect the rudders. My past boats I never removed the rudders for travel and didn't have a problem. My current boat, I do take them off because with the new tiller connectors, it is a pretty quick operation. However, if you do leave them on, you must make sure you tie them down securely

On shimming the rudders in the castings, what I usually do is cut out some shims from either a milk jug or soda bottle. Place the rudder and shims in the casting, and then tap the bolt through with a hammer to punch through the shim. Much easier than trying to get all the holes aligned.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MBounds wrote:
Get the 20 style tiller connectors if you don't have them already (they've come new on the boats for over 10 years now).

That way, the tiller crossbar comes off in about 10 seconds.

Rudders are now free to be stored.

I'd like to, but I'm afraid I have met my spending max on the hobie for a couple months.

Also...the scotch tape idea was so brilliant yet so simple, I had a head slapping moment for a second there!

Thats for the quick (and smart) suggestions/responses. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, I really don't want to take off the rudders if I can avoid it, but I'm broke and need to protect the boat until the wife stops checking the account everyday!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Removing your rudders isn't so much for the rudders themselves but more for the constant movement that is going to wear all of the parts while trailering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You do not have to remove the bolts every time you remove the rudders, Just pull the pins.

Yes the h20 connectors would make it a easier but not nessessary.

I take mine off for a few reasons. Loading and unloading the boat is not so hard on them, and while stepping the mast you have less things for the shrouds to hang on. Leave them off until unloaded and take them off before loading.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I learned the hard way that not removing the rudders can cause cracking around the deck lip where the rudder pin goes through. I ended up having to cut that area of the deck out to prevent further cracking. Not neccessarily bad structurally but certainly cosmetically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:
Removing your rudders isn't so much for the rudders themselves but more for the constant movement that is going to wear all of the parts while trailering.

What he said. Why have the rudders putting stress on the boat, tiller and themselves when they're not in the water? The rudders are the last to be put on my boat before launching, but then I'm launching from a beach and I'm anal about having them get in my way while rigging if they don't have to be there. If you have a safe place to store the rudders and tillers off the boat while transporting then spend the extra 5 minutes taking them off.