Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not a gib halyard?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just been checking out the condition of the wire up the front of the gib. What's it called? It's not a gib halyard is it? That the bit that goes from the top of the gib, up to the pulley and back down to be tightened and secured on the mast (I think). I was noticing some corrosion around the collar at the top of the wire and thought I might replace it but can't seem to find it listed in the Hobie parts catalog unless I'm off the beaten track and am looking for the wrong thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

forestay????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think he is referring to the wire-rope inside the luff (front edge of the sail) of the Jib sail. The H16 Jib Sail & Battens Parts List shows the thimble ends, Nicopress sleeve and shackle, but does not call out the wire-rope or an cable assembly.. I don’t think this wire can be replaced without a sail-maker.

Otherwise, I think he he could be taking about the Lower Forestay. This is shown in the H16 Forestay, Jib halrard, Bridle parts list.

Sail#4854

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes, I am talking about the wire-rope inside the luff of the gib. It looks like it is just held top by some loops of small rope, & bottom by a dee shackle. Doesn't look like it would be difficult to remove or replace but I've replaced all the other standing rigging with Hobie stuff so thought I'd like to do the same with this but can't seem to find wheere to do it. Would have thought it was a standard part and fairly important in the integrity of the rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The wire luff on the Hobie 16 jib will outlast the working life of the jib. A little surface corrosion is nothing to worry about. They call it stainless, not stain free. When it is time to replace the wire, it is past time to replace the sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From an earlier post on the same topic:

John Eaton wrote:
A lot of wear on the shrouds are due to their movement (and ability to move) around the hound, shackle/s and trapeze wires. On every tack one side is loose and when you come about tightening again (sometimes quick and hard), consequently the turnbuckle ends may snag on things and over time it becomes mangled or a strand of wire will break.

Comparitively speaking, the jib is a lone ranger up front by itself with a relatively constant pressure on the wire and nothing to wear against. Certainly check it for wear, but I have never heard of one being replaced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks everyone for the sound information. One less thing to worry about needing to be replaced. Will let that wire survive by itself!