Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bent mast
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last summer 50MPH winds flipped my hobie on the beach and bent the mast. The bend is approx 15-20 degrees. The bend is about 3 feet below the joint of the comp tip. I can still raise and lower my sails with the bend, however i would like to get the mast straight again.

Currently i have the mast horizontal on my trailer raised on two wooden blocks. I have the bend in the mast pointed upward. I've attached a ratchet block to my tailer and wrapped the strap around the mast where the bend is. With two people sitting on the bent part of the mast i've been able to tighten the ratchet so much that the mast is bending opposite the original bend. With time im hoping to tighten more and more until mast is straight again. Does anyone have any other ideas to straighten a mast? Has this happened to anyone else? if so what did you do?

Thanks for any advice.

2008 Hobie 16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Some masts can be straightened and some can't. I have successfully done it several times and broke one.

You have nothing to lose by trying. A bent stick is worthless.

The key is to have strong, well padded supports on either side of the bend. You don't want to cause a new kink at on of those spots.

You then need some way to exert an opposite force at the bend. A wide strap with D-rings works well. These are commonly used to tie cars down in trailers.

You will most likely need more force that you mainsheet system can exert. You will have to go quite a ways further than you might expect. Only trial and error will tell. Be patient and go a little farther on each pull. Once you start seeing actual straightening you will understand how severe this operation is.

If you are patient and keep at it you should be successful. You will need a good measuring stick to note your increasing progress on each pull.

In your case with the bend close to the Comp-Tip joint, there is a risk that the joint will fail. If you can stay on the metal part it would be best.

I don't believe you gain anything by letting it sit in the overbent position. It will only waste a lot of your time.

The most recent time we did this we pulled two trucks face to face about ten feet apart. The H16 mast was placed lengthwise under them and a boat cushion was put under each bumper for padding.

We used an engine hoist and D-ring strap to pull upward at the bend. This provided a very controlled action and there was no danger of one end coming loose. We actually over bent it a little and had to do one pull in the opposite direction.

That mast is absolutely straight now and sets the same on each tack.

Keep in mind that the mast could snap at any time, so stand back as you make your pulls. If it does break you haven't lost anything and you will have a good story to tell whichever way your luck runs.

Last edited by Mugrace72 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jack's advice is right on. If you hear the ping of death during the process you'll need to get a new mast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Add heat, apply your pressure slowly.........goot luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My 16 fliped in the beach and bent the mast also. I wasn't as involved as some of the other processes here but my process worked very well. Remove the mast- mark the EXACT spot where the bend is- I used electrical tape. I was on the beach -which was sand -took a shovel and made 2 piles of sand about a foot high that suported both ends of the mast a foot off the ground. I had a helper- whom I used to hold on to and barefoot jumped on the spot I had marked with the tape. The mast flexed till it hit the ground. I jumped on it several times but it was not enough. SO--I made the piles higher this time about 18 inches jumped on it again. This time it was more like a trampoline and the rebound was a little launching so it was good that I had a helper to hold on to. I weigh about 200 lbs so that was alot of force but the mast did not touch the ground this time so more weight was needed -Call in another helper now I have 400 lbs- stand side by side foot to foot next to each other on the marked spot and jump again. the added weight made the mast touch the ground again and there was a little creak or streach sound which was a little scary, but the mast straightened. The good part about this process is you can dial in the presure and the ground limits the over bending. Good luck!