Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Humminbird Helix 5 in my 2016 Outback. It is mounted in the Lowrance Ready pocket, using the HB transducer mount kit. The install is pretty straightforward with no real opportunities to offset the transducer to any extent. However, I have noticed that the transducer does not "look" straight down, but somewhat aft, perhaps due to the hull contour. When vertical jigging, I can see my jig on the FF if I hold the rod tip around the 3:00 - 4:00 o'clock position, which is very unnatural for me. When holding the rod tip at the more comfortable 1:00 o'clock position, the jig is not visible within the cone angle. This is true for most depths I jig at (12 - 120 ft).

Anyone else seeing this? Is it possible to securely mount the transducer "tipped" so that it is looking more forward? Other workaround?

Thanks for any advice.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here's how you can check whether your transducer is facing straight down: Put your kayak in very calm water, such as a swimming pool, load it with all of the gear which you usually carry while fishing, and get into the kayak. Put a long level on the gunwale, and mark the location of the level with masking tape. If the gunwale isn't level (i.e. the bow is higher than the stern or visa versa), tape pennies or something similar to one end of the level until the level is level. Then take the kayak out of the water, set it on sawhorses, put your adjusted level on the gunwale in the location marked with masking tape, and put shims on one of the sawhorses until the adjusted level is level. That will reproduce the way that your kayak sits in the water. Then get underneath the kayak with a small level and check whether your transducer is level. If it isn't, adjust the angle of the transducer until it's level. This will make your transducer point straight down when your loaded kayak is stationary and you're jigging.

But when your kayak is moving, such as when you're trolling, the bow may rise or fall. To determine if this happens, take your loaded kayak out into calm water, pedal along at your typical trolling speed, set your adjusted level on the gunwale in the location marked with masking tape, and see whether the adjusted level is still level. It may be difficult to tell because the bubble will get jostled around as the kayak goes through waves. If there's a big difference between the levelness of your gunwale when the kayak is stationary and the levelness of your gunwale when the kayak is moving, you can decide whether to level the transducer when the kayak is stationary or when it's moving.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Pete. Great idea about "transferring" level-on-the-water to level-on-the-sawhorse. I'll get that going asap.
Jim