Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Today I decided that since the weather was so nice that I would take the Outback out for the first time this year, been kind of busy and time slips. So I go to put the seat on and just like last year I would make many attempts to get the seat to latch correctly but no luck. It literately takes me about thirty attempts before I get both sides to latch. I place the seat on the bar, rotate it forward while pressing down and then rotate it backwards each time. Is it me or the seat please?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Probably just a technique issue - here's a quickstart video - please go to 2:30 and see details on installation of the seat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uLvP_XparU&ab_channel=Hobie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jbernier wrote:
Probably just a technique issue - here's a quickstart video - please go to 2:30 and see details on installation of the seat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uLvP_XparU&ab_channel=Hobie

Thanks, I watched that video las night. I will continue to go through the necessary steps and hopefully figure it out. But while I know Hobie makes a really nice product it just seems like they over engineered the latching of the seat and made it more completed than it needed to be. I have watched other videos while searching of others that also cannot figure it out. So it begs the question when is it the user and when is it a defective product, Hobie brings that uncertainty on themselves and their customers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:46 am 
Site Admin

This is really quite simple once you understand the process. Hang in there... you will get it. It is pretty slick and makes seat installation quick. Your dealer should have shown you this upon delivery.

The hints I would give are:

Raise the forward adjuster bar half way to the fully up position. It is not easy or maybe impossible to do with the bar at the lowest position.

Place the seat in position on top of the bar and rear aligned at the rear most area of the seat well.

Place your hand at the front of the seat where you can grip and hold the bar and seat together.

With your other hand, lift the aft of the seat... pivoting the seat on the bar until the seat locks onto the bar... aligns and drops onto. Then lower the rear and lock the aft buckle. Test the front by lifting on the seat material... it should be solidly locked to the bar.

We have seen some that are tight in the width and the rubber finger guards interfere with the gear box. We removed these from more recent production. If that appears to be an issue on your boat, removal of the guards would help.

As Jacques noted... at the 2:30 mark he shows the seat installation.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
This is really quite simple once you understand the process. Hang in there... you will get it. It is pretty slick and makes seat installation quick. Your dealer should have shown you this upon delivery.

The hints I would give are:

Raise the forward adjuster bar half way to the fully up position. It is not easy or maybe impossible to do with the bar at the lowest position.

Place the seat in position on top of the bar and rear aligned at the rear most area of the seat well.

Place your hand at the front of the seat where you can grip and hold the bar and seat together.

With your other hand, lift the aft of the seat... pivoting the seat on the bar until the seat locks onto the bar... aligns and drops onto. Then lower the rear and lock the aft buckle. Test the front by lifting on the seat material... it should be solidly locked to the bar.

We have seen some that are tight in the width and the rubber finger guards interfere with the gear box. We removed these from more recent production. If that appears to be an issue on your boat, removal of the guards would help.

As Jacques noted... at the 2:30 mark he shows the seat installation.

Thanks for your time and the hints, I don't give up easily, I will get this. This kayak is a pleasure to have.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

mmiller wrote:

FWIW, this step is the key for me, but with one additional detail: My hand is underneath the fabric of the seat and is actually squeezing the seat hardware to the bar as I hold the rear of the seat up and lower it into position.

The process has gone from "hit or miss" to almost 100% success this way for me. YMMV.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
My hand is underneath the fabric of the seat and is actually squeezing the seat hardware to the bar as I hold the rear of the seat up and lower it into position.

Yes! That is what I do. Place your hand at the front of the seat where you can grip and hold the bar and seat together.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Having the bar up is a great idea, its always battled me too and I'll bet that's is why I've had the problem.
Thanks Matt great suggestion I really appreciate it.