Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm look for a Hobie for my wife for mostly recreation some fishing both lakes a salt (PNW - Seattle Puget Sound). I was thinking of the Compass but then I spoke with sales rep a sportsman show they (has an Outback and fishes) feels the Outback is more stable, in fact he told me that he was testing a Compass and dumped it by just reaching over his shoulder to get something behind the seat. That got me thinking about the Outback. Stability, Stability, Stability is the name of the game for my wife

We are going for a demo March 21 and try them out. That should tell the tale, just looking for comments.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I had a Comapss, I have an Outback.

Compass is stable, Outback a little bit more.

The difference is when you stand up, the compass roll a little I would say 10° angle.
This don't happen if you're more than 80 Kgs (I'm 70)...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The term stability is a relative term to each individual so you're responses are going to vary. I tested both of them out and couldn't tell much of a difference. The Outback may have a slight edge but is considerably heavier. You are doing the right thing by testing them both out. I recommend spending at least an hour in each kayak. Just taking a kayak for a 5 minute spin doesn't tell you a lot. At first, especially if this is her first kayak she will be getting used to being in a kayak and not really have a reference to stability in a kayak.

My wife did choose the Outback over the Compass but it was due to the seat being more comfortable and having more "bells and whistles" for fishing. I'm not familiar with the waters you mentioned but if you will be fishing in shallow water the Outback (IMO) has a big advantage over the Compass in that the underside of the drive is recessed in the hull so when you flip the fins up and scrape the bottom the drive doesn't drag on the bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Swfinatic

your comments regarding your wife's choice of the Outback is why I'm strongly leaning that way ( unless the wife thinks other wise) I had the same thoughts. Better boat with more options. Yes it is more money but a happy wife is a happy life!

- Better seat
- more features ("bells and whistles")
- gives me a 2nd fishing boat for us both.

Thanks for you comment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You're welcome. Either way she'll have a great kayak.