Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Piercing Hull
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all,

I am in SoCal and mostly fish saltwater in my ~2010 Revo 13 via surf launch and island trips. It has worked pretty well, but I am disappointed by its tendency to pierce chop rather go over it when loaded with gear, even when distributed as well as possible. I would also like more space and convenience for fishing. As a reference, my revo loaded with ~300lbs of myself, 4 rods, tackle, livewell, torqueedo, food, water, and possibly fish will tend to take waves over the bow in head-on chop over 2ft unless I am going very slowly. This happens even with a couple gallons in the livewell, battery in the rear, and nothing heavy up front. Waves in the lap are also pretty common if they are approaching from the sides. Last year at San Clemente island the conditions picked up, and I felt like I was pushing the limits of the craft well while staying well-within it's capacity.

I am seriously considering a new outback as I am looking for something more seaworthy than the old revo (+75 lbs capacity and much wider) but they way they advertise the new hull is not attractive to me at all. In some conditions, the "piercing hull" of the revo causes wave after wave to come right over the bow eventually causing water infiltration when headed directly into small chop. Is there anyone out there that has actually used the new Outback through surf and 2-4 ft chop, while laden with gear, that can let me know their experience?

Thanks so much,