Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Put on your thinking hats, Hobie aficionados! I need some help and my hat is either too loose or too tight...

Given the following:

1) Humminbird Helix7 G4 CHIRP*MEGA SI*MEGA DI (yes... side imaging)
2) Hobie's Humminbird adapter kit (item no. 84505901)
3) Hobie Outback small parts kit (came w/ the 'yak)
4) 2021 Hobie Mirage Outback
5) Rectangular cut in guardian plate to accommodate wire and area where it exits transducer
6) 6x "extra" 8x32 1" stainless screw with stainless locking nut (prior projects)

How on Earth do I mount the transducer to the Guardian Plate with the transducer flush against the outside of the plate? The angled support "strut" of the transducer itself collides with the rear of the protective curved piece in the small parts kit prohibiting a flush mount. Note: with a flush mount to the external guardian plate, the side imaging will still clear the hull. (If you're a DI person solely, no need to comment on internal mount as SI requires hull clearance.)

I have referenced two YouTube videos that must be an older generation Helix7 (again, have G4) where the American's is flush and the Aussie's is lower and at risk of damage (which I want to avoid).
[youtube]https://youtu.be/WlYuR4vykDY[/youtube]
[youtube]https://youtu.be/Dih5Jjia7Ss[/youtube]

Funny that Hobie sells an adapter kit for Humminbird and thus generates profit from the same but is so far in bed with Lowrance that it doesn't support install or give instructions for it's own product... hoping to be proved wrong on this. Didn't ship with any instructions and website lacking for same.

Engineering challenge of the day... and GO! :) Thanks in advance. The reds and black drum are calling, and I must answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Using the Americans video. When you attach the Hummingbird adapter to the transponder place a flat washer between the transponder and the adapter on each side, so transponder will swivel.