Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, I was looking into freeing up some garage space and was wondering if this is an acceptable method of storage. I'd hate to ruin my kayaks. I was planning on storing them exactly how they are in the picture.

Thanks!

Bonnlo Freestanding Kayak Rack, Indoor Outdoor Storage Stand for 4 Kayak, Canoe, Boat, Paddle Board, SUP, Surfboard Width Adjustable Carrier Floor Holder with Lockable Wheels for Garage, Shed, Dock

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YXZZY5F?re ... QVH69CMDEA

Post subject: Re: Storage
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:34 am 
Hobie Tech / Moderator

We recommend against storing a Hobie on its side. It can result in dents or fractures in more severe cases.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

dcaballero wrote:
We recommend against storing a Hobie on its side. It can result in dents or fractures in more severe cases.

That is helpful information.

Can you comment on what acceptable storage alternatives are, that likely won't damage the kayak? Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You did not mention what model Hobie you own, so that's important too.
Another thing is how hot the temperature is as the hull material will soften in higher temps. Don't store outside in the sun.

Since Hobie warns against long term issues when kayaks are stored on the side, my take is if its inside your garage and you don't live in the desert SW, side storage could be a safe solution.
You could always rotate the hull 180° /flip it to the opposite side to minimize any possible stress on the hull every 6-8 weeks.

I assume the hulls most susceptible to warping are the PA's, TI's and tandems/2 person models.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
You did not mention what model Hobie you own, so that's important too.
Another thing is how hot the temperature is as the hull material will soften in higher temps. Don't store outside in the sun.

Since Hobie warns against long term issues when kayaks are stored on the side, my take is if its inside your garage and you don't live in the desert SW, side storage could be a safe solution.
You could always rotate the hull 180° /flip it to the opposite side to minimize any possible stress on the hull every 6-8 weeks.

I assume the hulls most susceptible to warping are the PA's, TI's and tandems/2 person models.

Thanks for your input! I'm closing in on an Outback and am trying to figure out a few details, such as storage. Hopefully dcballero will weigh in with some of the "official" options.

It sounds to me like your idea of side storage with rotation would work. I'm also wondering specifically about just setting it on a concrete garage floor (no PVC under it), setting it upright on a couple of those little folding stands that look like camping seats, and storing it with the cart attached. Would just like to know what is OK and what is not.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One other option to consider is vertical, on the stern like toy soldiers!

I know Hobie and their dealers stand up the hulls to minimize space....just a thought if you have the height.