Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone -

I have a 2006 Hank Parker edition outback that I have a few miscellaneous maintenance items I could use some help on to help improve its ocean worthiness (mainly nearshore pacific rock fishing in NorCal).

- Water infiltration: I am accumulating about ~1-2 gallons of water during 4 hr outings. It’s not immediately clear where this water is coming from. I recently JB welded one of the two twist lock bolts that secure the mirage drive. I don’t believe that column is cracked but I haven’t inspected it. The repair held up fine during a recent outing. The only other location I have considered are the grommet holes at the back of the kayak where the rudder lines penetrate the hull. These are nearly completely worn due to wear - see attached photos. Are these replaceable and if so where can I purchase them? Otherwise could the source of water be a hairline crack below waterline? Any tips appreciated.

- Rudder cable tensioning: the left/right steering cable is fine, however there’s too much slack in the deploy/stow cable to lift the rudder. How would I go about tensioning this line?

- Broken hatch under seat: I’m sure this is a common issue with this model. How can I permanently solve this? Mainly an issue if water were to come overboard.

- forward hatch install: is it possible to put a hatch where the tackle box tray lies? This would provide a nice access point to the hull.

Photos: https://imgur.com/a/ZV4FpPj

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Suggest going to this link as its full of info to answer your questions.
https://www.hobie.com/support/mirage-outback/

Water could be entering through the stern holes where the rudder lines pass through the hull.
Another possibility is a crack in the Mirage drive well......you need to carefully examine that area as it was problematic.

JB weld is not the correct material and you can find adhesive recommendations by searching the forum.

Good luck!