Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems with hatch
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a 2020 Passport 10.5 purchased around April. About two months ago, we couldn't close the hatch any more (it seems too tight as it approaches the lock. I don't know if it is a bit out-of-round, or the seal has been dislocated, but neither *appear* to be true. Our local dealer will have a look at it in a few weeks when we pick up another kayak, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

Also (and perhaps related), we had been using Hobie's bucket in that hatch (what good is a storage hatch without it?). It never fit well (it certainly wouldn't fit with the bucket's lid in place, so we put that aside entirely and only left the bucket in). Now, if you put the bucket in and push just a bit on the bottom of the bucket, the bucket falls through the hatch hole into the hull.

What I'd *really* like is to be able to put in a real compartment in place of the current hatch -- no bucket to mess with and no risk of anything you put in it falling through to the hull.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Problems with hatch
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm having the same problem. Were you able to get an answer? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We took ours back to the dealer. They apparently did a better job of cleaning it up (taking off the gasket to do so) and applied some silicon lubricant. Works better now than it ever did. Hope it stays that way, but we'll try what they did if it happens again.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I received my bay sand passport April 2nd. My 8" round hatch also did not fit well and did not close flush. I easily removed the entire hatch and found a rubber seal that was misaligned and squished from the original installation. After I completed the realignment and reassembly it works as it should. I purchased the yellow lid insert to keep my phone and keys dry and safe. So far so good.