Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Passport durability
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have an outback but with the addition of a 5th wheel I no longer have a way to bring it along. Looking for something smaller that I can haul on the roof of my truck. My question is how will thermoformed polyethylene hold up to oyster reefs, rocks or anything else hard and or sharp I encounter? I would probably have a better idea od the materials if I could see one but no local dealers have one available.

Post subject: Re: Passport durability
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Durability of hull materials is probably very close to rotomolded.
I have just gotten my passport so I can only fairly answer regarding research and not longevity- I've done a ridiculous amount of research before and while waiting on my hobie.

I have been told on this forum that the hull of passport is relatively thick (see "compression" post near bottom of passport page). I have also seen captains and admins in posts on this forum saying it was durable and similar in composition to the rotomolded.

This passport section is pretty new, but lots of good info from older posts in "open forum" from a couple years ago under "Mirage Passport". [/url]https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=64596 Don't know what I'm doing but that may be the link from mid 2019 on open forum - kayaks.

I have also seen on this forum that the seam is quite durable as well. In almost a year of internet research, I have never seen anyone suggest that the passport was not durable, and assuming I would have by now if it was an issue. The only couple times I have been told that I should get a compass versus passport was from people who had never seen the passport.

My guess is the biggest concern would be the drive when it comes to oyster beds. Y oyster beds are nasty, but don't think the hull would take much more beating than the rotomolded yaks. As far as rocks go I think you would be ok thanks to new kickup fins unless they are super shallow. And hopefully you can flutter or pull drive if you notice them before you hit.

Have seen berleypro makes a keelguard specific to both passports that may help, but idk.

I went with the 12 foot, for storage, but think I may have enjoyed the 10.5 advantages of size and weight as well. Good luck and have fun with that new 5th wheel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the comments. I have gone from waiting for the iTrek11 to the lynx to the passport. With availability being what it is I guess I have plenty of time to do some reading and sort out what would work best for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would stay away from oyster beds in any boat even my Fiberglass hull boat :) I just bought a Passport 2021 and getting it all rigged up for going
out in a few days. I had to rig things up on the dock and have carpet to slide it off and pvc bumpers on my pilings and a ladder. On low tide
it can be around two feet down when pulling back up so I rigged up a sling straps to the railing slots with tie offs and will be pulling from
the middle once the front is up on the dock. I also have a sling straps on piling up on the dock I can hook a small block tackle that will make it east to pull up onto the deck on the carpet and have rubber pad under the carpet. The block and tackle will pull from the straps going to
the middle of the kayak on the rail slot system. it should work to make it easy. Lots of planning :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I love my new 12.0 passport