Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello,
Just bought a 12 and need some storage ideas. Have any of you tried that pulley system that mounts on your garage ceiling? It's basically 2 pulleys and some straps to hold the boat. This would mount at front of my garage for storage off season. I have also seen wall mount that mount on your studs and wondering how they do.

So how do you store your passport?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I store my kayak upside down on a couple of 2" straps which makes it easy to roll the boat over to work on. Be careful of hot areas up high.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have used both solutions to lift my Outfitters (Oasis stays on trailer). At one house I used a 4:1 pulley blocks and a tie-off cleat to lift a lattice of 2x4s that the kayaks lay on upside down. At another house I had a pair of right-triangle 2x4 frames attached to the wall for each kayak, one pair above the other at 3 ft and 6 ft, again with the kayaks stored upside down. Both systems worked well and were easy to manage by myself, even the upper wall mount kayak since I could lift one end and then the other, never having to lift the whole kayak at once.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

oldyaker wrote:
I store my kayak upside down on a couple of 2" straps which makes it easy to roll the boat over to work on. Be careful of hot areas up high.

How hot is too hot?

My intent to to store the boat in the garage off season but I live on the Gulf coast so it it can be hot in Nov.

For in season I was thinking on side or back of garage on saw horse (or the like) with a blue tarp. Any harm in that?
Thanks..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

plfinch wrote:
I have used both solutions to lift my Outfitters (Oasis stays on trailer). At one house I used a 4:1 pulley blocks and a tie-off cleat to lift a lattice of 2x4s that the kayaks lay on upside down. At another house I had a pair of right-triangle 2x4 frames attached to the wall for each kayak, one pair above the other at 3 ft and 6 ft, again with the kayaks stored upside down. Both systems worked well and were easy to manage by myself, even the upper wall mount kayak since I could lift one end and then the other, never having to lift the whole kayak at once.

Peter

I like your second idea with the 2*4's My fiancé has a 10' pelican and that would bring her bioat inside as well.

My 12 shipped out motor freight today so happy about that!

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also keep the hatch cracked open a bit so the kayak can breathe.