Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just purchased and installed some Hobie Ama Sidekicks on my Passport 12 hopefully for greater stability while sailing and possibly kayak re-entry if dumped.
I haven't had the chance to test the waters yet myself, but was wondering what users had to say about their experiences and confidence level while sailing to keep the kayak upright in relatively calm to moderate winds of less than 3-5 knots. Is this possible to maintain the necessary stability without constantly releasing the mainsheet to lessen the wind flow and heeling?
Question2: If you had capsize with the ama sidekicks installed, were the sidekicks used as the main re-entry tool?
I am thankful for any input or knowledge you can share to help make my sailing experience fun and safe.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We have the Sidekick Amas on our Oasis and pretty much use them every time we are on the water. They absolutely improve stability when sailing and in rough conditions. Normally we adjust them for the highest setting so they are out of the water and not adding drag until we start to lean. They also make deep-water reboarding a lot easier. When sailing with the amas they let us keep full sail up.

Only problem we have had is one of the amas slipping off and not noticing it for a while (conditions were rough and we were leaned the other way). Took a while to find it since the wind blew it pretty far. I added some cord to each clip so they can't fall off.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your response Peter.
I take it that you seldom capsize with the Amas being used at the various (3) heeling Levels at full sail power.
That is truly amazing... they really do their job!
When you have gotten dumped and with the kayak righted, Did you use the (1) Paddle /Inflatable Float method, (2) Stirrup Step line, or (3) Sidekick rail separately, or all (3) in conjunction to re-entry.
I am thinking that the Paddle/Flotation method set up somewhere between the (Drive and Seat) should be the ticket as you use the paddle to leverage your body/legs back onto the deck.

Tom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We often have full sail out in 10-15 mph winds and have not capsized. We use the amas in the mid-position sailing which allows moderate heal. That heal angle combined with the built-in flex the mast has causes wind to spill when the sail is over-powered. But we do still need to sit to one side of the seats and lean into the wind. We have never capsized with the amas but, at least on our narrow tippy Oasis, I could see it happening if we sat straight up. As the amas are small and not very far outboard they do have limited righting effort.

We practice reboarding and use a stirrup line stored in one of the hatch buckets. We attach it to the far-side ama bracket and enter close to the near ama using the center ama bar for leverage. I'm sure to an onlooker it is not very elegant but it works.

Peter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Looks like the Ama sidekicks give you a few good options if you so become unlucky and in the water.
Great info you provided.
Can't wait to get back into the water to try the various options.
Thanks again for your inputs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Had a chance to test my new Ama Sidekicks this weekend.
Yes, to answer my own question. They really work that good, and totally worth the additional expense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The H-Bar is also a big aid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2023 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I cannot find the Hobie Sidekick Ama anywhere, is it still being made? If yes where can I buy it? Thank you in advance