Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'd like to be able to solo car-top my lynx, but as the boat is transitioning from being supported by the back of the car to the rear rack crossbar, it is difficult to keep it from sliding to the side, especially if the keel faces downward. I could address the issue by mounting the stern carry handle to one of the stern bungie tie down leash plugs, so it is a bit closer to the side rail handle. The tie down plugs look like the same part as the bow carry handle plug; are they up to the task?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Agree that the hull does want to slide. I just lift with the stern handle while keeping the other hand on the side of the Lynx to steady it.

By moving the stern handle as you propose, is it so you can lift the kayak while standing to the side instead of behind it?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This was my idea, although more important I'd like to have both hands have solid grips on the kayak. I did some experimenting; I can lift by the stern carry handle and keep a hand on the side rail handle, but it's a stretch. Side lift is probably not what I want; controlling the yaw of the kayak is easier but roll becomes more of an issue. What I think I want is to mount the *bow* carry handle to one of the stern leash plugs.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found using a Malone ChaneLoader with Bigcatch saddles on my roof rack works perfectly. Kayak slides right on and off the car and the saddles keep it aligned.