Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I have paddled for many years, her usual boat is a Hurricane Santee 135, and mine is a Phoenix Isere (yeah, really really old). I'm a long time Hobie sailor and have been fascinated by the Mirage drive. (yeah, yeah, I'll get to my point.)

My wife had a shoulder replacement, with disappointing results. If things don't improve after her next surgery, I'm afraid her paddling days are over. I've tentatively suggested a Hobie Mirage boat. She speaks of them with scorn as "pedal boats" that you sit "on, not in".

So, my first question is, Does anyone know of a rental place in the Chicago-Milwaukee-Madison triangle (or an hour or so away) that rents Hobie Mirage kayaks, so she can try one? She's going to need more than a 5 minute demo to convince her.

Question 2, How is the Lynx in choppy water? We often paddle on lakes that can get a fair amount of wave action, like Lake Mendota in Madison. Our current kayaks handle chop just fine, both side to side and lengthwise. The Lynx hull looks sort of like my Sunfish hull. that really pounds in large wave action.

Question 3, If she does embrace the Lynx, will I be able to keep up with her with a regular kayak? I've only seen videos of Mirage kayaks, and they appear to go faster than a kayaker can comfortably paddle. When she got her Santee, I had to really up my game to keep up with her. If the Lynx is faster, I may need one too...did I mention they fascinate me? :lol:

Too many canoes and kayaks

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish the lower James River around the Hampton Roads area year around and recently switched from my Feelfree Dorado 125 to the Lynx (primarily for the weight savings as the Dorado was weighing in at close to 200 lbs with full gear).
In my opinion, unless you enjoy being wet, the Lynx is a "fair weather" kayak in my book. It doesn't cut through the waves or handle "rough" water like the Dorado did. It slaps, and in a headwind any splash is then picked up by the wind and thrown back on you, while larger waves have broken over the bow and washed the deck.

As for speed, with the standard fins, I can sustain 3-3.5 mph all day long, and have reached 5 mph at a full sprint. I have yet to install the turbo fins, however from what I have heard they add 1-1.5 mph.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Ipak! Good information!

Too many canoes and kayaks