Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I pretty much read every single messages on this board.

I am currently looking for details that will likely have to come from Hobie Eng unless someone already has these details.

1: The screw specs for the various mounting point options around the hull.
2: The max torque spec for the screws mounting points. (Seeing how many folks complained about the H-Rails, I know 99% of the end-users won't care or spend the cash on torque screwdrivers or wrenches but I'd still want to get these numbers)
3: Now I am going to get technical, are there any data related to "Strength of Materials" shear, load, bend and whatever fun stuff the engineers may have tested. The reason I am asking is simply because I see more and more folks loading their H-Bars or adding motors or upgrading the small skid plates at the back and use longer ones so they can let their kayak rest on it.

All the little upgrades I see are great, but seeing what happened to the H-rails installation. I am starting to wonder how much load can the lynx actually take on these screw mounting locations and I would hope for Hobie to be a little more specific than "just don't over-torque it" or "Don't over load it" if folks are spending 1500$ to motorize their Lynx and another 1300$ on fancy addons and fish finders. I'd think that knowing the limitation and load capacity of the mounting point is probably the best interest of everyone out there.

Hopefully we can get some specs and data.

Cheers,
Ben

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interested in the results as well. The Hobie Lynx H rail instruction video says you can pick up your kayak using the H rails, but many I hear says they wouldn't do that

https://youtu.be/nzyw-eEd3mY?t=31

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, I am quite surprised to hear that guy saying the H-Rails are good to handle the lynx.

I am currently considering trying to take my PA14's seat and try to get it on my Lynx. I'd need to 3D print new receivers for the seat but I am still waiting for Hobie to provide us some technical details.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

2xFormerGoogler wrote:
Yeah, I am quite surprised to hear that guy saying the H-Rails are good to handle the lynx.

I am currently considering trying to take my PA14's seat and try to get it on my Lynx. I'd need to 3D print new receivers for the seat but I am still waiting for Hobie to provide us some technical details.

This guy did it to both his Lynx and his itreks. You could message him, he's also on the Hobie Lynx FB group.

https://youtu.be/aW_ePbcCaCw

https://youtu.be/Xj5jQ823MpQ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just joined the Hobie family and forum, and picked up 2 Lynxes yesterday. I am also interested in torque specs. I was going to buy a smaller torque wrench for bicycle anyway. Plan to get the H rails when available.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

There are no torque settings for any Hobie products. Not a thing.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So how is a product developed and going through QA and for load ratings?

There is a video out there on the H-Rails stating the rails can be used to carry the Lynx. Yet many customers here and on the Facebook page are livid about the damage on the hull. I presume there is also no such thing as testing products either?

I'd be amazed that non of the mirage drive are assembled to specific torque settings, if so then why charging this amount of money when manufacturing standards aren't at the top.

Well it's all good I won't buy the rails or any other mounting accessories since the hull can't be drilled and mounting points have proven to fail.

THANKS hobie for this greatly "engineered" product!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Test, test, test... that is the way. This is not a high-tech environment. If it breaks... try again until it doesn't.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)