Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is the Lynx material (Ace-Tec) strong enough to transport on top of a rack on top of a boat? This would be different than a car, which stays level whereas a boat will bounce up and down, sometimes rise and fall, depending on the height of the surf. Anybody who's been on a boat knows what I'm talking about. The kind where suspension seats on the boat are super nice.

I guess I'm asking if the material that the Lynx is made of is strong enough to withstand this kind of bounce? If the Lynx is only supported at two points, like with normal roof top car racks (but at approximately 5 feet apart), will the material crack at the rack points with the weight of the bow and stern of the kayak bouncing up and down as well? I'm confident that the other material that kayaks are made of (Rotomolded Polyethylene) will withstand the stress, just not sure about the Ace-Tec.

Does anybody here have experience strapping your Lynx or similar material yak (like Eddyline) to the top of a boat and hitting chop?

::I'm not talking about wild boat rides, more like 1-2' swells::

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For what it's worth, we made the trip and experienced no issues. We cut pool noodles to fit over the rack bars on the top of the boat and strapped them down just like you would on a car. We were actually quite pleased how nicely they fit and how secure everything was.

Cheers!