Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lynx thread inserts?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First post to the Hobie forums, but I've been reading them for a loong time (since I got my 2012 Rev)!

I love my new to me Hobie Lynx as a stable fishing platform, and with the turbo-fin upgrade, it's pretty decent on speed. I've recently purchased a sail and the furler kit too, and have been thinking about how I'm going to set things up. I'd like to mount the furler on a plate/block up front at the two mounting holes. However, I'd like the flexibility to add and remove it depending if I'm sailing or not, and I don't like the idea of frequently unscrewing/screwing the sheet metal screws into the plastic attachment points. That is what spurred the thought of installing thread inserts in the screw attach points. Something like a stainless 5/16-18 ext - 10-24 int 0.3" deep thread insert. It's not about high load/strength anchoring, but rather being able to easily mount/un-mount accessories with machine screws.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried or thought about it? Any insights to issues that may arise?

Another (technical) question is what's the profile of the black plastic attachment point? It seems like there's ample depth, but is the cross section (the diameter) the same from top to bottom? This may limit the depth of insert I choose.