Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The drum on the peddle arms strikes the rear notch of the drive well halfway through each peddle stroke. It is leaving wear marks on the drum and on the Lynx's drive well. I thought adjusting the cables would rotate the drums to be more forward but the drums will then collide with the idle wheel on each stroke. There is a lot of room forward of the drum for it to rotate without hitting anything just no room for the drum going rearward.

Currently the peddle drum hits the rear edge of the drive well and then glides along it during the rest of the full stroke. This cocks up the MD 180 to one side then the other on each stroke as each peddle drum hits the drive well. Can the cables be adjusted to keep the drive from hitting the well? Or the drum?

Post subject: Wrong style 180 drums
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It looks like the drive my dealer gave me with my new Lynx has different drums than the ones shown in the Hobie's Lynx page. They are very squared off in the slot the peddle arms adjust in versus the rounded ones in the Lynx pictures.

My drums cover the arm up to where the positioning pin is versus the Lynx drums that are shaped closely around the Hobie badge and leave the area below the arm pin exposed more. My squared off slot is catching the edge of the drive well on every stroke. It is wearing and forcing the drive to tilt away from the drive well wall every time.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your dealer will provide the quickest resolution to your problem and the Mirage drive should look like the breakdown on page 5, in this document link.
https://media.hobie.com/digital_assets/ ... 4Ugyb4.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, talked to the dealer and showed them the drive hitting the drive well. My drum is shown in the parts breakdown sheet. Meanwhile, the smaller rounded off drum is in the Lynx owners manual picture of the drive.

Mine is the new drum and is just like the dealer's personal Lynx's. His hit my drive well also. it also hits his own drive well but not so much he ever noticed. It appears they kinda all touch with the new drum design to different degrees. My own drive well may be narrower/squished the way it is in the hull. My drive well may have had it's oval shape squished a bit when the upper part is bonded to the hull.

My issue is documented in case it causes serious issues later. Meanwhile I'll just use a little epoxy to refill worn plastic if it starts to wear through.