Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I'm considering taking advantage of some local discounts on a Lynx and was wondering if there were any significant differences between the 2022 and 2023 models? I'm also looking to purchase before the end of September to take advantage of the discount, but I do not have a roof rack to use when picking the kayak up from the dealer...are these temporary/removable roof racks (some inflatable) that I see on amazon a realistic solution? Can these be used reliably on say a Mazda Cx-30 with a bare roof? Many of them are well reviewed, are these a realistic solution for transporting a light kayak like the Lynx?

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Lynx stayed the same between years. Only the colors changed from yellow to blue. 2024 will be blue too. I can't help with roof racks.

Have you looked at the iTrek9? It seems the same kayak as the Lynx but inflatable. It even uses the same seat and rudder set up but deflates down into a suitcase. Due to cross stitching, inflatables such as paddle boards and docks are very ridged and flat. They handle dings better than hard boards. My Lynx is pretty much a hard paddle board with a seat and controllable rudder.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Zx111…i haven’t delayed too deeply into the inflatables to be honest…I’m buying the kayak solely for fishing and I wondered how realistic it would be to fish from an inflatable with hooks all over, landing spiny fish on the deck, etc…are these geared toward fishing or more toward getting out and enjoying the water? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The Lynx will be more capable for sure. I don't think the iTrek9 will handle spine equipped fish. Here is a YouTuber showing her Lynx upright on a Civic using roof racks. It looks like her car didn't come with racks and hers is holding onto the door gutters. It also has a handy bar that extends out to make loading easier. Get a piece of old carpet or bath mat so the Lynx doesn't grind against the parking lot when you lift up the bow onto the roof rack.

You see the rack on the roof and getting loaded at 1:00 into the Hobie Lynx Demo video from GirlGoneFishing:
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsDRv4mJo_0&t=262s[/youtube]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks again, I appreciate the input! I've taken a deeper dive in looking at the Itrek9 and I'm thinking this makes a lot more sense for me. I have no storage for a hard kayak other than covered up outside in the elements (New Jersey winters)...I also don't have a roof rack and purchasing an official one is pretty expensive. The iTrek 9 has a number of limitations obviously, but the pros might outweigh the cons in my situation. I'd likely buy an H Crate for it, bring to rods, and a couple boxes for lures and plastics...this might actually make the most sense for me at this point. The rubber material seems pretty robust overall from what I've seen in reviews...I primarily fish for bass, and as long as I'm careful I think I should be able to manage those without spine issues...I do run into pickerel and snakeheads on occasion, which might require a bit more finesse. I'm going to give this some more thought, though I'm pretty convinced the iTrek makes the most sense right now. Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the Lynx and think I should have gotten the iTrek9 for ease of traveling with it cross country to the Florida coasts. Easier to carry multiple inflatable kayaks with our luggage.

Look at "Fish Hunter" channel with his video on a iTrek9 Four Month Review. His seems durable. And Bote (the paddle board company) has videos on easily repairing today's cross stitch inflatable boards with modern contact cements. Biggest issue seems to be over inflating and splitting the seams when the sun heats up the board thereby increasing the internal pressure. People set the pressure at max and don't let any air out when the sun's heat increases the pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks again ZX11, I've ordered the iTrek9! It seems to make more sense for me with the various storage and transport limitations I have...I'd love to pursue a Lynx later down the line, but storing it outside was really the dealbreaker...I'd hate to have that hull out in sub freezing temperatures during the winter. It would give me anxiety that I don't need in my life! Thanks again for the suggestion!