Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: General maintenance?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After more than 25 years and more than a few moves, I have recently purchased a Hobie 14 Turbo and am not only sailing again, but sailing Hobie cats once more! The great thing is that nothing seems to have changed! Same boats, same fun!

My 'new' boat is a 1983 model H14T which I bought second hand in reasonably good shape. I am wondering, however, if someone can tell me, or refer me to any posts/literature as to what kind of general maintenance is required/recommended on these boats? Generally what to check periodically, things to clean and lubricate?
(sailing on sweet water lakes only).

In addition to general maintenance, there are some specific things:
- Rudder locking cams are very tight - any recommendations?
- A small amount of water (1-2 cups) comes out of each pontoon after 2-3 hours on the water - is this normal? Should I be looking for particular leaks? and if so typically where? (The hulls look clean, so I suspect either the plug/plug housing itself, or the trampoline base post joints.
- This is the first time I have a furler on my jib - any maintenance/lubrication?
- The the jib blocks, the rear traveller and block, as well as the block and tackle on the mainsail are functional but stiff - once again, what maintenance / lubrication is recommended?

Many thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: General maintenance?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

rezaff wrote:
- Rudder locking cams are very tight - any recommendations?

Quick fix is to spray some silicone or other dry lubricant into the mechanism. Better fix is to take it apart, clean it, put it back together with some white lithium grease (car door hinge lube).

rezaff wrote:
- A small amount of water (1-2 cups) comes out of each pontoon after 2-3 hours on the water - is this normal? Should I be looking for particular leaks? and if so typically where? (The hulls look clean, so I suspect either the plug/plug housing itself, or the trampoline base post joints.

That's not a whole lot of water, but your suspicions are probably good - clean off the old silicone sealant from the pylon/deck joints and re-apply a bead of sealant there. You can do the same with the drain plug housing.

rezaff wrote:
- This is the first time I have a furler on my jib - any maintenance/lubrication?

Again, dry spray lube so that it rotates smoothly. If it binds up, there is a rebuild kit available from any Hobie dealer.

rezaff wrote:
- The the jib blocks, the rear traveller and block, as well as the block and tackle on the mainsail are functional but stiff - once again, what maintenance / lubrication is recommended?

Same deal. Dry lube. Don't use something like WD-40 that will attract dirt and sand.
McLube Sailkote is a good all around dry lube:

McLube also makes this stuff called "One Drop" that works very well on ball bearings. I got mine from Annapolis Performance Sailing.

Post subject: Re: General maintenance?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mbounds - thank you very much for the suggestions.
Greatly appreciated.