Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Traps
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If anyone has or could take pictures of your trap where the dog bone and the shock cord is that would help me because i am making my own. I have the swag fittngs and wire and the swags but i would like to see how someone elses looks before i make mine.

Mark
H14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Would a description help? My wires end about a foot off the crossbar. Then a harken block (don't have a murrays catalog with me) is attached to the end of the block. A line (about 3 ft long) is then passed through this block; one of the stopper cleat setups (a square black thing) is rigged to prevent the line from going through the block and make the system adjustable. The one end of the line is attached to the dogbone; the other has a bowline and the 8' shock cord is attached with a clip to this. I usually wrap my wires up at the forestay (unattach the shockcord) to extend the life of the shockcord. They tend to wear out rapidly rubbing against the crossbar & getting jammed in the stay attachments. You can pass the line just through the end of your wires and avoid the block; don't know how much wear you'll get on the line.

This all for a basic rig. I've wished for an adjustable rig on more than one occasion; last time I flipped my boat because I wasn't high enough on the wire so I had to come in, got hit by a big wave at the same time and was standing on the back of the boat hanging on the wire; pulled it right over on top of me! Then for some reason it would not come back up from turtle (which is usually the easy part). I eventually got some motorboat assistance and all was fine-and their was NO MUD on the mast!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

well i had some 16 trap wires that i cut and swaged for the 14 it works ok on land but i was wondring where to put it on the side you said a foot off the cross bar (aft or bow)

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am somewhat confused by your question. My foot off the crossbar was vertically. I don't have keepers that prevent the shockcord from sliding around (haven't been able to find them, been looking). When I go sailing, my shockcord is attached to the wires aft of the side stay attach points and everything is fed outside of the rig. I slide around when trapped out (fore and aft), and that is how the system is supposed to work...