Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just as a warning this will be pretty long.
Over the winter I am repainting my 14, and since the shroud broke the other day I decided to go ahead and call it a season. So over the weekend I pulled it out to the garage I will be in all winter and started taking her apart. I am realizing that the painting will not take that long. I figure five or six hours of prep and then 8 to 10 painting, of course that will be spread out but I think that I can have her done quickly.

So now to the main question, I love my 14T and love how much speed she had but being that I am a Hobie guy I am always looking for more speed. So here is my plan, I found great instructions online for adding wings to a 14, and also I was wondering if it was possible to put a spinnikar on a 14. I get passed by guys all the time who have them.

I want some honest answers here, can it be done and would be be dangerous for the boat?

Now on to my second story, My 14 is going to be in the garage along with some other cats I have but I want to be able to sail over winter and the cats are not dry enough for it. I have a grand plan to find a way to put a small sailing rig on an ancient fiberglass boat I have. It was orginally a life boat on some boat, but I used it to fish on my pond at home. It was fitted with a square sail ages ago, But I was thinking something closer to what the old 14's had just not as big. I don't care about the boat so I am going to start messing around with it and see if I can get her to sail. I know I will lack the speed of a cat but it will be a dry ride and I won't have to worry about freezing to death. I will post pictures of my little beastie monohull sometime. This should be a fun project!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I didn't get any responses, it is possible to put a spin on a 14. Has anyone out there ever seen it done. I know the wings are do able. I have already started the fabrication of those but the spin I am a little clue less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I put a small spin on the 14 years ago and promptly took it off for the obvious reasons. A roller furling reacher works much better.

Bob :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I did the same thing Bob did and I think it is just great. I have an extra roller furler headsail and all the hardware to rig one up if you are interested in a 'kit'.

You can email me off line at [email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am considering trying a Laser 2 regatta spinnaker on my 14. It should be quite good and provide some lift. However an assymetric probably would be better. What do you guys think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am starting to look around for a laser spin, I saw some pitures of them and they seem about like the right size. Anyone know what one might cost and what to look for in a good one.

Also, the little mono that I talked about it ready to go. I used to mast off an old laser. I have it rigged with a main and a jib. I took it out one time on Saturday. It is definently not a cat but it went better than I expected. The thing that I am not used to is the heel. I need a larger rudder on it. I am using an old sunfish rudder and that jsut isn't enough. It would turn but whe nthe boat heeled over the rudder almost was coming out of the water. Which in turn caused me to have even less control. I will sail it all winter then hopefully I will have my 14 back working or maybe even have another bigger cat before spring.

Well, I need to work on my 14.