Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where did we say you lived?? I have a couple of decent Hobie 14 hulls for cheap.
[email protected]
Clear Lake Iowa 50428

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm all the way down in FL and new hulls just isn't an option. I'm still $500 in the hole as far as my bank account is concerend and I'm trying to sell some audio test equiptment to fill that gap but my eBay account (well mom's ebay account) is locked because she gave out the password to one of the spoofs and whoever stole the password used it to try and purchase over $1000 of stuff.

Thanks for the offer though. One of hte worser spots is nice and hard now. We'll see how the other spot goes and I may go for a full recondition. It used less resin than I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The biggest spot just ate over half a quart of resin. I went ahead and fixed the back spot because I had leftover resin. On to the other hull now.

Post subject: Pics
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let us see pics when done.

Good Luck,

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'll get pics of the decks up soon. I didn’t finish out the whole deck, just the front of the hulls and one of the back hulls. My jerry rigged rudder held up pretty well. I went out yesterday. Thank god some buddies of mine where launching their Mastercraft for a day of wakeboarding at the same time I was launching my hobie or I would never have stepped the mast. I am going to just build an automated stepper that uses the winch to raise the mast.

I got out in 16knt winds with 20knt gusts. Great day for your first sail right? Well I got out there and I could get her to heel up on one hull and keep it relatively stable by jamming my foot in between the two canvas parts of the tramp and leaning away out one hand on the tiller bar one hand on the dog bone of the trapeze. I was passing 12' johnboats with 4hp motors like they where standing still on a close reach. :lol:

Then I got too confident and ended up capsizing. Saved her from going turtle with a quick swim with an extra vest to the top of the mast. It was too windy to keep her pointed into the wind long enough for my 140lb self to flip her back over. This indicated to me that I need a water bag. I also need to get a permanent righting system.

Anyway, after about 15min of the guys in the johnboat I passed watching me they offered to help, towed me to shore and helped get me back over. By then I was winded and the sun was going down so they towed me back to the boat ramp.

It was fun; I just need a harness and a hiking stick so I can get out on the trap when sailing by myself so it doesn’t happen again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

First of all, the mast should be no problem on the 14.

The easiest way to step the mast is to just turn the boat on it's side and then attach the mast. Then flip the boat right side up and go sailing, that is how I do my 5.2 and it has alot more mast than the Hobie 14 I used to sail.

Also my girlfriend who weights 110 steps the 14 mast solo, I think you need to hit the weigths soon. Kidding, but you will get better at the mast thing.

Sounds like you had the basic sailing down pretty well, how did tacking go?

The 14 can be stubborn to get back upright, but you should be able to do it without a righting bag. Just swim the bows towards the wind and then lean back, it should come up. I would practice some more before I wrote it off as un do able.

I didn't know what to do about that rudder I talked to you about, it sounded like you didn't want it anymore? Do you? I could also throw in a trapeze harness, it is old but working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I probably do need to hit th weights. Though it isnt the weight that makes it hard, it's the akwardness once I get it upright.

Untill I get the selft stepper built I'm going to try turning the boat on its side.

Tacking wasnt too hard. I stalled a couple times because I'm not too used to operating a Jib and a main sheet at the same time. Jibeing is like pie, easier than I remembered on my buddie's 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh and We lost contact and MBounds offered to send me a pair of rudders and I got them today. A big thank you to him and I really appreciate the offer. I will get at you about the harness via Email. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

I don't remember who it was that sent you the rudders, but it wasn't me. :?:

I don't have any to spare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

DOH!

That's right, it was Genmar Star. Now I feel stupid. lol.